Hate flip-flops

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
I always hated flip flops. Race conditions storing information make me nervous. I just apply them as if they are magic and ignore what I cautiously know is happening inside.

Anybody know of any situations where flip flops buckle at the knees?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Greeting - this is the odd area where we can get into things in a non question-and-answer situation.

Flip-flops are funny things in that people always have a hard time with them. Some really can't deal with J-K flip-flops, for instance.

I learned inside old Univac computers that exclusively used D flip-flops, and can't imagine using anything else. But there is always the fun of making sure the data is steady before the clock.

For gate racing, I had a long conversation with a friend who ended up with martin-Marietta making the star tracking computer for Minuteman missiles. They had to clock at 40 MHz, and were constrained to use standard TTL that was only guaranteed up to 20 MHz. Every chip had to be hand selected and tested. Counting feathers for pillows is on the same level.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I always hated flip flops. Race conditions storing information make me nervous. I just apply them as if they are magic and ignore what I cautiously know is happening inside.

Anybody know of any situations where flip flops buckle at the knees?

Gee...I didn't think you had much choice! :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Never worried about them myself, just blithly went on as if I knew what I were doing, and they haven't let me down. JK types have always seemed a bit twisted to me though. I mean, who comes up with this stuff?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Never worried about them myself, just blithly went on as if I knew what I were doing, and they haven't let me down. JK types have always seemed a bit twisted to me though. I mean, who comes up with this stuff?

Uh....ever tried to build a 3:1 divider? Pretty tough without a clock function!

:)

eric

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Oh, the clock is easy enough, Master Slave is very basic. The concept of JK still leaves my head twisted. If all else fails, but a simple gate to detect a number, and tie it to reset! Not for fast counters, but mostly works.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Oh, the clock is easy enough, Master Slave is very basic. The concept of JK still leaves my head twisted. If all else fails, but a simple gate to detect a number, and tie it to reset! Not for fast counters, but mostly works.

I guess with all the work I did with phase locked loops and such, where everything is edge triggered, the JK concept seemed pretty intuitive. :)

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
So does anyone know of any situations which might cause the internal racing of flip flops to fail? Capacitive loading, surgets etc..?