Has plastic metal conductivity ?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
While it is reasonable to assume by "plastic metal" that you mean ordinary plastic that either appears metallic (e.g, chrome) or is filled with fine metal powder, there are non-crystalline forms metals that conduct quite well. The latter might better be called a "glass" rather than plastic, but it is not clear you make that distinction. From my perspective a glass is a structural form, a plastic is an organic polymer.

As for metal filled (or appearing to be metal filled) plastics, one common epoxy that is sold as being "hard as steel" is considered by its manufacturer to be an insulator: http://www.jbweld.com/pages/faqs . In contrast, there are metal filled epoxies are that sold s being conductive (e.g., http://www.resinlab.com/adhesives/electrically-conductive?gclid=CL2tjM-eutACFQdWDQodzCYAuQ ) .

Thus, your question cannot be answered yes or no without more information from you about the specific terms used and/or type of plastic.

John

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Yes.
At my previous job I would assemble db-9 connectors. The hoods of the connector would be made of plastic, but surface finish was some kind of "silver" film that we used for ground path.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Simply unclear. Thermal or electric conductivity ?
If you call this foam conductive plastic, yes, ICs are kept with their pins inserted in for protection against electric discharges as it is electrically conductive shorting all the pins.

----> http://static.squarespace.com/stati...b9/1336428061000/IMG_1009.jpg?format=original

and can be used as a stress/force sensor as in weighing. They conduct electricity less or more depending how much are they compressed.

If you call silicone insulators plastic, like the ones used in TO-3 devices, yes, they are thermally conductive.

----> http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00GCOTkFNMfczp/Silicone-Thermal-Insulator-Pads.jpg

For your plastic Db9 connectors, use a ohm meter.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Plastic can be coated or have fillers,etc... to make it both thermally and electrically conductive..
But most plastic is not electrically conductive.. It will conduct heat though (but not very well compared to metal)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Plastic can be coated or have fillers,etc... to make it both thermally and electrically conductive..
But most plastic is not electrically conductive.. It will conduct heat though (but not very well compared to metal)
Then the coating or filler would be conducting. The OP asked about plastic.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
Okey. The question was not published so good.

I have one HP dv5 notebook here and the invertor was outside the notebook because of tryings. I am asking because of safety reason.

The other example which i can tell i am interessed in - the notebook chargers. I scare that some high electricity will "touch" the plastic from inside and that if that plastic has electricity conductivity...you know.

thanks

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
so the aluminium coated foil used for Ramen (instant noodles) is conductive?

Recently I use these foils for shipping since they are thick and good quality.

Id guess static could not build up on the plastic when it has aluminium coating?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Id guess static could not build up on the plastic when it has aluminium coating?
Yes, in general. The thickness of the metal (usually aluminum) is less than 1 micron so static dissipation and capacitors are common uses for aluminized/metalized plastics.

The metal is deposited from vapor/arc in a vacuum. Density is not 100% and some oxidation does occurs so use a fraction of the conductivity of aluminum when calculating current if you want to etch the film for current carrying applications. RFID tags are commonly made from etched aluminized foils.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

Don't know about Ramen noodle foil, (mine come in a cellophane type plastic) but what do you thing is in a poly capacitor? And the individual layers of them are conductive, and will build a charge from static in the surrounding air.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Then the coating or filler would be conducting. The OP asked about plastic.
Did they? I fail to see any reasonably stated question... :D
It was "simply and clear" in their mind.. Not even close in mine..
"Has plastic metal conductivity? ".. wtf is that?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Did they? I fail to see any reasonably stated question... :D
It was "simply and clear" in their mind.. Not even close in mine..
"Has plastic metal conductivity? ".. wtf is that?
Sorry, I deal with ESL people all the time. My internal ESL to real English translation interprets the question as, "Does Plastic have the conductivity of Metal?"

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Sorry, I deal with ESL people all the time. My internal ESL to real English translation interprets the question as, "Does Plastic have the conductivity of Metal?"
I just provided examples of how a part made of plastic could be conductive.. Via fillers/finishes..
I tend not to split hairs when I'm not even sure its a hair I'm trying to split yet :)