Hartley oscillator simple project help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by leonheard, Jul 5, 2014.

1. leonheard

Thread Starter Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Hello!

I need help for my next project... I want to build an hartley oscillator with a resonant frecuency of 9khz
    My power supply has 5.2 volts, my LC tank circuit is tuned to resonate at 9 khz ( no problem there I made the taped air coil about 14.15uH and 22uF capacitor) BUT what would be the values for
    R1,R2,R3,R4
    C1 = capacitor emisor
    C2 = capacitor output
    C3 = capacitor base

Here is the link of that hartley oscillator….
    http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/oscillator/osc6.gif

I have basic knowledge in electronics

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Where is the tap in relation to the coil ends? Half way between, or ....? Is your 22uF cap non-polarised (since the voltage across it is alternating)?
    You could try R1=10k, R2=4k7, R3=2k2, R4=1k, C1=1u, C2=100nF, C3=100nF. However, I couldn't get a simulation of the circuit you posted to work with the coil tap grounded directly. It needed to be grounded via a >1uF cap instead.

3. leonheard

Thread Starter Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Where is the tap in relation to the coil ends? Half way between, or ....?

its in the middle.

Is your 22uF cap non-polarised (since the voltage across it is alternating)?

it is actually an electrolyte :/ i guess i will need to buy a non polarised one...

However, I couldn't get a simulation of the circuit you posted to work with the coil tap grounded directly. It needed to be grounded via a >1uF cap instead.

Thanks! I didnt know that, how did you know that a >1uF cap needed to be used? :D

I couldn't get a simulation of the circuit you posted to work

Could you tell me the name of the simulation u use?

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Trial and error. That's the beauty of simulation :).
    I use LTspice (as do many on this site), a free download from Linear Technology.

leonheard likes this.
  5. leonheard

Thread Starter Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Trial and error. That's the beauty of simulation

I thought you used maths, formulas etc lol xD

I use LTspice (as do many on this site)

wow! i have that software, i used only 1 time since i didnt know how to use it :p but now i will learn and use it more often.

Thanks for the help!

6. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Recommended. Well worth the effort. It takes a while to get familiar with it, but there are good examples supplied, comprehensive Help, and a Yahoo LTspice user group for further help and free additional model libraries to download.

7. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    14 uH is an awfully small amount of inductance. I would increase the inductance of your coil and reduce the size of the cap.

I would shoot for a maximum capacitor size of about 1 uF. This allows using a high quality polyester film capacitor. A 1 uH cap would need about 300 uH of inductance to resonate at 9 KHz.

leonheard likes this.