harddrive interface conversion ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mathematics!, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Over the years I have used pata and sata hard drive enclosures to convert an internal sata/pata hard drive to an external usb hard drive.
    Now I have a whole bunch of internal sata drives lying around and a whole bunch of semi-old computer that only support pata/IDE internal drives.

So I am faced with sort of the opposite problem.

My question is
    Is their a cheap way of converting a sata internal drive to work with a pata/IDE internal drive interface. (i.e sata cables/ hard drive to ribbon cables , molex connector type pata drive )

I have the molex to sata power cables so I can get power to the device (i.e can do the power conversion part) but when it comes to
    converting sata data cable to a ribbon type I have no clue what to do or weather their is some hardware you can buy to convert between the 2 types, i.e sata data 7 pin to ribbon 40ish pin . I know one is using serial and the other is using parrell transfers so it would have to some hardware to convert between the 2.
  2. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
  3. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I found something
    PCI sata card I can already convert the pata power to sata power using the molex to sata cables that I have.
  4. dataman19

Dec 26, 2009
    That's what IONIC posted..
    A converter card..
    Good link IONIC