Hard to find smd sliding switch (ALPS) found in power window switch

tintino

Joined May 27, 2014
I'm looking to fix the master power window switch on my 2008 Nissan Pathfinder (replacement is over $100) and determined that one of the sliding switches is bad.

All i know is that this is made by ALPS. No part number. It has 8 pins (4 on each end) and is rectangular in shape.

I spend many hours looking through ebay, google pictures, searching for loose terms like "smd switch".
I even emailed ALPS (but no reply), looking for a replacement.

Can anyone here help ?

I'm attaching pictures.

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
ALPS is known for making custom variations of catalog products for high-volume applications. What you have probably is a modified standard or full-custom switch design. Not the answer you want, but I've been down this path before.

ak

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I've fixed many power window switches over the years, all GM cars though. But switches should be similar inside, most GM switches are "cherry" brand.

If your careful you can get the top cover off of the switch, using the tip of an Exacto knife to get into the crack between cover and body of switch. Do this slowly so as not to lose any parts. Inside there will be small brass contacts, they are strips with a 'V' shape bend in the middle. The strips only use one end to make/break contact. Just turn the strips 180 degrees to make the unused end the new contact. Put the switch back together, and, voila, a good as new switch. If while taking apart a tab breaks off(happens sometimes), a dab of super glue works wonders. The switch is already broken so what do you have to lose?

tintino

Joined May 27, 2014
I received reply from ALPS:
Sorry, we not permitted by contract to sell to the general public.

Regards,
Patrick Ludlow
Alps Electric North America
Haha... i now imagine a conversation between Nissan and Alps...

-Hey ALPS we need a switch for our power window boards. Make sure nobody can buy a replacement part and make sure it's rated for only 10000 toggles so it breaks just past the warranty, just like our fuel level sensors yeah.. so we can sell them the whole new module for $200+ at our dealers. OK Alps? Good boy.

If your careful you can get the top cover off of the switch, using the tip of an Exacto knife to get into the crack between cover and body of switch.
That was a good idea. I had to unsolder it because just taking the metal cover off didn't expose the sliding part... After unsoldering it, i could pry the plastic part open into two pieces...the good news is....I got it to work now.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I received reply from ALPS:
Haha... i now imagine a conversation between Nissan and Alps...

-Hey ALPS we need a switch for our power window boards. Make sure nobody can buy a replacement part and make sure it's rated for only 10000 toggles so it breaks just past the warranty, just like our fuel level sensors yeah.. so we can sell them the whole new module for $200+ at our dealers. OK Alps? Good boy.
Welcome to the world..
Now your eyes are open grasshopper.

got a junkyard by?.. pick up a used one and swap the switch out.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That was a good idea. I had to unsolder it because just taking the metal cover off didn't expose the sliding part... After unsoldering it, i could pry the plastic part open into two pieces...the good news is....I got it to work now.
A lot of car things can be repaired this way. The older style starter solenoids is another one, that by flipping the internal contacts, can be made 'new' again. As a young guy working on cars, I had little money and lots of time. So learned to take things apart and repair them. Also helps if your stubborn and cheap.:D