Happy INDIA's Independence Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mkbutan, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mkbutan

Thread Starter Senior Member

Sep 30, 2008
    hi
    every body
    Happy INDIA's Independence Day

arun the curious likes this.
  2. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Do you mind telling the story? I'm quite curious. Wasn't it he British that ruled india for a long time? Was their a war? Did UK just sign it over? What happened? I'm honestly curious.

mkbutan likes this.
  3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I believe peaceful protests led by ghandi eventually pressured the British to leave. It wasn't good PR for them to be assaulting nonviolent protesters and demanding them to pay for salt that was theirs. Thats all I know, and its probably wrong.

mkbutan likes this.
  4. Neyolight

Dec 13, 2011
    During the late 17th century , India became a british colony. Infact during that time more than half of the world were under british I believe. India continued to stay a colony till 15th August 1947. This is the date India re-emerged as an independent nation.

What lead to the independence ? - Well there were many factors, Ghandhi being the most important.

arun the curious and mkbutan like this.
  5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Shouldn't this thread be shut down too because of politics? If R#$fs was. I personally don't think we were violating the ToS at its heart because we were just discussing current events that are blacked out of our news.No worries or anything but I wish the mods would be more consistant with what they ban/delete. Some days harmless nice diccusions are banned other times people post threads titled Sept 11 2001 WTC and go for double digits in pages. Again it ain't my game I'm just a small player but this would be one of my wishes to make this a better site. :)

6. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    this summarizes some things - India Independence. But also the idea was to cripple England economically so Ghandi persuaded people to boycott English imports and grow/make their own food/clothes.

The outcome was not very good for the country with class divisions (supported by Ghandi) conflicts between indian and muslim populations and, of course Pakistan.

This all links back to the colonial empires and artificial borders drawn all over continents for which we are paying now in blood.

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    History Vs Politics.... I think most folk can tell them apart.

I have no dog in this hunt. I've tracked both threads, it was not an inappropriate closing. It has to do with emotions as well as opinions, and it is a subjective call, one that is our job to make.

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    No problem just voicing my 2 cents. I only posted it cause I really am interested in whats going on over there and can't seem to find much in the news, and if you do chances are its slanted.

9. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Something about the East India company,am I right.

mkbutan likes this.
  10. mkbutan

Thread Starter Senior Member

Sep 30, 2008

hi
    Thanks for showing your interest in INDIAN INDEPENDENCE.
    I am too young to explane the movements took place in the 200 years.
    hope you can GOOGLE to get the self Explanation.
    there are few links from WIKEPEDIA.ORG hope you like it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_independence_movement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_India

11. arun the curious

Aug 6, 2012
    i will try explain or throw some light on the indian independence....
    i will start from the beginning...the time when india was one of the wealthiest(was known as golden bird sorry if i am wrong),and most knowledgable nation of the world(many of the theories which greeks, arab are boosts of inventing are actually created by indians which you can clarify if u refer to ancient vedas).It was then quite natural that colonialistivc nations got very interested in this region,They tricked those rulers of that time and in the name of business captured the land brought in soldiers here taking in funds from local indians itself.They looted most of the places took almost everything from india leaving the indians bankrupt and poor(even now britian doesnt agree to return the kohinoor crown)
    .Then the people started fighing survival for survival initally in the crude path of violence,some of them even shaking britian to the core with their ancient weapons and warfare in place of the those times guns and 'modern' weapons east india company had.
    Then under the leadership of gandhi india used the unconventional method of non violence against violece which required hardcore courage,sacrifice and selfless love showing the modern world what should be our actual practice. Then successful throw away of foreign rule from our nation in 1947.
    Inspite of the urge to throw away british rule during the phase of nonviolent fight indians respected british rules and people, that is why they had a say in formulation of constitution at the time of freedom.But they cheated indians again, effectively splitting up the nation into two ind and pak ensuring that war atmosphere will ever remain.
    that can... i think called a history!