Handy Tools

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
I think we are in the wrong profession...

A a place where I used to work, we had a lightweight vise with 2" wide padded jaws, all mounted on a ball type joint that could be oriented in any position and locked in place. Haven't seen one like this anywhere else.

jtrent

Joined Mar 11, 2012
Pricey is not the word I would use. Highway robbery sounds more like it. I've always used a vise of some kind like jimkeith was describing.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I've got a cheap plastic suction base vise with thin aluminum jaw inserts that probably cost $4.00 at Radio Shack in the 70's. The V groove in the jaws holds small circular connectors quite well and the aluminum helps heat sink the body of the connector. I've got helping hands and a fancy Panavise 333 but that cheap RS vise is still best for small connectors.

hwy101

Joined May 23, 2009
I've got a cheap plastic suction base vise with thin aluminum jaw inserts that probably cost $4.00 at Radio Shack in the 70's. The V groove in the jaws holds small circular connectors quite well and the aluminum helps heat sink the body of the connector. I've got helping hands and a fancy Panavise 333 but that cheap RS vise is still best for small connectors.
That's exactly what I been using for years, but the suction cup never worked for me, I attached it to a piece of wood for weight and stability.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I use spring type clothes pins to hold 2 wires on a piece of cardboard to make them hold still while I solder them. Haven't tried to make a "T" connection yet. I think I'd need 3 clothes pins. ;)

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
You can get a similar product with a lighted magnifier at Harbor Freight for $7.00 but I don't like alligator clips for holding wires. If you get PVC insulation warm while soldering, the clip goes halfway through it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Try the wooden, spring type clothes pins. They have notches in them that allow the insulation some room and they don't conduct heat (much).

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
[QUOTEHow about this one? $11.99
][/QUOTE]
Two of my students have these, but I like #12s idea with the clothes pins.
I'll have to make up a couple of these to give them a try.