hand crank generator voltage increase

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by TheNeglected, Nov 5, 2013.

1. TheNeglected

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 5, 2013
    i recently bought a hand crank usb generator for my phone, but it doesn't charge the device. i believe this is probably because i am not providing enough voltage. so does anyone know a nice simple way i can increase the voltage i output.

for anyone who wants to see the one i got here is a link to where i bought it:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008UL0PW4/sr=8-1/qid=1383308959/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=new&me=&qid=1383308959&seller=&sr=8-1

and thankyou everone in advance

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You could use a boost switching converter to increase the output voltage, but that would reduce the current. Have you measured its output voltage?

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Does your phone accept charging from any generic USB source? Many will not, and require manipulation of the voltages on the data pins in order to allow charging.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    And don't forget you actually have to crank/turn it :p :D

5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Methinks your cranking will exhaust you long before the battery is charged :(

6. TheNeglected

Nov 5, 2013
    i really want to shy away from buying a step-up converter, i am also using a i-phone 3gs with its own usb charger cable so i asume the voltage on the data pins will not be a problem.

is there some way could just produce more power from it, such as changing the gears around or something like that..

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Won't work. An iPhone is the perfect example of a device that cannot be charged from a generic charger, without attention to those data pins. The cable does not affect the issue.

The iPhone also requires a charging rate you likely cannot attain with a hand crank, although I'm not sure what amperage you can get.

8. TheNeglected

Nov 5, 2013
    i see.. well that is a shame, i also bought this to use on my 3ds. i haven't been able to test if it works yet since i dont yet have a usb cable for it. but does anyone then know if the same problem may befall that aswell?