Halogen Torcherie Wiring and Supply issue

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bearcat22, Mar 11, 2013.

1. bearcat22

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you for reading my message. I am a novice at lamp repair. I own a secondhand halogen torcherie that I would like to fix. There is very little information on the lamp. The base is stamped "PAF studio DUNA Design Mario Barbaglia Marco Colombo Milan Mad in Italy"

The ferrule surrounding the ceramic that goes around the contact is stamped "DMT-020-6/250" The "D" might be an "O"

I believe the contacts are so badly corroded/burned/worn that this is causing the light to keep turning off. I'd like to replace the contacts, but they appear to be integral to the wires. If I can crimp on new contacts, or just replace the whole wire-and-contact assembly, that would be great.

Can you suggest what I would need to buy, and from where? Thank you.

PS, yes I am aware that these lamps are extraordinarily dangerous and can start fires. If there were something safer that would put 300 watts of sunlight bounced off my ceiling, at an affordable price, I'd use that instead. I live on $900 a month social security. Thank you.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Got a picture of the socket/contacts?
    Can you just clean them with some steel wool/sandpaper/contact cleaner?
    Have you checked the resistance from contact to where the wire attaches to line voltage?

Not sure what country you are in but 500W halogen shop lights are very cheap in the US. (like $15)

3. bearcat22

Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you mcgyvr.

My digital camera does not seem able to focus well enough to give a clear picture of the contacts. pic posted.

Yes, I probably could polish the contacts with steel wool, but prefer to start fresh if I can.
    They are pretty worn down.

I have no electrical tools at all, and no knowledge of how to use any.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    got a "macro" setting on your camera

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Then just go buy a new light.
    Chances are that "if" you find new contacts and assuming they are the problem (which they might not be) by the time you buy them and get them shipped to you it will cost as much as a new light. Then you find out its not the contacts and the money keeps adding up.

"Those who can..build........Those who can't..buy"

6. bearcat22

Mar 11, 2013
    Not that I am aware of, no.

7. bearcat22

Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you for your advice. Can you suggest where to acquire a halogen floor torcherie lamp that will take 300 watt bulbs?

8. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Looks pretty boo-hoo if you ask me. Unless you can get an original spare, it is just an aluminium reflector.

You could get 4x 20W LEDs- 20 dollar.
    4x VGA coolers- 12 dollar.
    2 Laptop supplies- 24 dollar.
    2x voltage boosters- 14 dollar.
    2x coolers- 6 dollar.
    1x No more nails- 10 dollar.

All together: 86 dollar.

Then you can build a 80W LED light, much better.

DIY you can make these for about $1/Watt.

Maybe you can get some used laptop supplies (Dell, 19.5V).
    Maybe you can do it in installments.

It will save you electric energy in the long run.
    I'd guess you get more light out from 80W LED than 300W incandescent.
    You can also split the 4 lamps, only use 2 if you only need 2. They can be made very compact and flat, only need low voltage wires (2x in series, 60V).

9. bearcat22

Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you, takao21203.

Maybe you did not notice that the OP states that I am a novice?

First of all, I don't understand what "looks pretty boo-hoo" means.

Second, I stated that this lamp takes 300 watt bulbs. I really do want that intensity of light as an option. I don't know if your 80 watt suggestion would produce the same amount of intense light, but I'd be surprised if it would.

Third, a list of parts isn't much to go on. If I had wanted to BUILD a lamp rather than fix this one, I guess I could have found some plans and a parts list, but as I said, I don't own any electrical tools, and I am a novice.

Thank you for your polite, helpful, considerate and appropriate response.

10. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I appreciate your explanation too, bearcat22

It is just a suggestion, I have built such a light recently, 2x 20W.

10 years ago I have installed a few 150W halogen lights, which I found cheap in a DIY store. Drilled holes into the ceiling, poured in hot glue, and then rushed in screws.

I like these lamps too, they have a pleasant light.

Without to see more pictures, it is hard to say how to repair the socket. You may be able to fit a different socket in there from another lamp.

I am not so much dealing with high-wattage incandescent now, but usually I get along with technology.

Hope others are able to help you out to bring it up to standards again. Boo-hoo means beyond repair, I mean economically. Unless you can get the spares cheap or fix it DIY somehow.

Mind these halogen sticks get very hot!

Does the lamp have a glass cover? You must have one indoors, as they can explode sometimes (Even if they usually just burn or pop open a small puncture).

11. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    To me it looks there are still remains from the original stick into the socket.

Have you tried to remove this stuff? Get some cheap pliers from a dollar store, and twist them until they come loose.

Dollar store tools are usually crap but can be useful for occasional jobs, or as additional tools.

Don't know properly but we have 2 Euro stores here, I guess what they have on offer is pretty much similar globally.

12. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Put your location in your profile so we can give "location" based suggestions..
    Or just use google..there are plenty of links for that.. or go to target or your local "big box" home improvement store or bedbathandbeyond

13. bearcat22

Mar 11, 2013
    As I wrote, "PS, yes I am aware that these lamps are extraordinarily dangerous and can start fires."

If I can get 300 watts bounced off the ceiling some other way, cheaply and more safely, I will go for it. I am open to suggestions, but when I begin by saying I am a novice, I would expect that to mean what it says.

It was a request for repair advice, not a request for building advice. Thank you.

14. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Well you got some suggestions. These lamps at DIY stores are usually deeply discounted, including a stick already. Have a look.

Maybe you can remove the remains from the socket.

15. bearcat22

Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you. I suppose I should have mentioned that I have already searched for a replacement, and cannot find anything with this level of wattage at what I regard as a sane price. I know of no retail stores that carry 300 watt capacity halogen torcheries. I am in Washington DC, USA.

16. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Is this what you are looking for?

It may be simpler to have a spare for parts. It's 100W less, but halogen.

Menard's and Home Depot used to have them. With all the "Go Green" energy saving stuff, they mostly only have the 12-15 Watt desk lamp style in Halogen now. Oddly, that's the one place where LED lamps actually provide better light. Takes a lot of power to do "bounce lighting" from Torcheire.

ETA: If yours takes the standard quartz tubes about 3" long and 1/4" diameter, you could probably find a Yellow "Work Light" at a pawn shop that has the window all dirty/bent or missing legs, or something else amiss, and pick it up for under $10. Then it's a matter of ripping out the bulb holder from the Work Light and transplanting it into your light. Going lower in wattage doesn't matter as long as the bulb size is the same. Going up in wattage is a problem. Technology level: Screwdriver, Wire cutter/stripper, 2 wire nuts.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  17. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012