Halogen lamp Transformer Issue

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jsthomps, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jsthomps

Thread Starter Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Hi all,
    I'm obviously missing something here. I purchased an EPROM programmer on eBay but it was missing the power supply. The missing wall wart generated 12VAC and can provide up to 3amps. Sounds simple ... I decided to buy a transformer used for low volt halogen lights (12VAC 5amps). Plugged it into the wall and measured the output ... 0VAC :confused:
    Returned it because I thought it was defective and bought a different transformer http://tinyurl.com/25clr7w
    Plugged it in ... 0VAC :confused:
    I soon realized that these units might be switching power supplies and that they might need a load. Loaded the output with the EPROM progammer and ... 0VAC :confused:
    All I want is a simple class 2 transformer that can provide 12VAC at 3amps.
    What am I missing here?
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Switchers will output DC, and so are not suitable. You must have a meter - what does it indicate the line voltage is? Just for a check of function - it's hard to imagine all those transformers with no output. Are you setting it to the AC ranges?

3. jsthomps

Thread Starter Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm pretty handy when it comes to electricity and electronics. I have a nice auto-ranging DMM and I double checked that I had it on AC volts. Line voltage reads 120VAC, output volatge reads 0VAC. The transformer's says "for 12v halogen lights only" and "operating frequency > 20KHz". I thought that this would be a no-brainer but I'm very confused. Just to make sure I had not developed dementia, I powered up and measured a door chime transformer. All voltages a expected. Did you take a peek at the link I provided? Here is the other transformer I tried with the same result http://tinyurl.com/342az32
    Scott

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  5. jsthomps

Thread Starter Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Yes you are right ... mystery solved. I throw it on my scope and it's switching at 160KHz :eek: You learn something new every day.
    Thanks for your help
    Scott