Halloween Costumes or Projects?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ELECTRONERD, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ELECTRONERD

Thread Starter Senior Member

May 26, 2009
    Hey Everyone!

It's that scary time of year again; halloween! Just wondering what your doing for the trick-or-treaters? May it be a costume you made or a project meant to fright the kids who take candy from your bowl!

My costume:

Several years back I made a robot costume, but last year I improved it. As depicted in the image, I have two red LEDs for the eyes and two green LEDs that flash alternately for the antennas. Also, I assembled this voice synthesizer kit and used the "Robot" voice to have a neat effect. I did honor the name of halloween by scaring a couple of kids on the block...:D Several kids were trying to steal my candy bag that was attached to my costume. I didn't have it inside, but outside. You can probably see these hole marks in the picture. I cranked the volume up really high so I got feedback and made this wierd noise! One kid got so scared he dropped his halloween bag, he just kept on running! I retreated, of course, and that kid got his candy back.

Anyway, what are you going to do for halloween?

All the best!

2. ke5nnt

Mar 1, 2009
    I have to work :( In the next 3 months, I also have to work on my wedding anniversary, thanksgiving, the day after thanksgiving, my birthday, christmas eve, christmas day, new years eve, and new years day... I hate my job.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You have my sympathies, mine isn't quite that bad. My costume days are long behind me, but I put "bush goblins" in my bushes. Basically a bunch of LED pairs that light up for a few seconds, then go out. I deliberately varied the values so they were not in sync.

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    I did a robot costume for my son many years (twenty?) ago. On the front of the body were three rectangular dark red plastic panels, one above the other, with lights behind them and words the shown through when lit. They lit in a sequence of 4 steps, one at a time:

(all off)

TRICK

OR

TREAT

On the back were two more panels that lit one at a time:

(all off)

THANK

YOU

(all off)

A 555 and 74173, some TO92 drive transistors and many grain-o-wheat lamps.

A hit with adults at the time. Maybe too simple for today.

Ken

5. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    Hey that's great!

The problem with my location is of course the mountains... so no one comes up our road. The last couple of years my dad would drive me down to a neighborhood with my siblings.

I'm also too old for halloween now...so my sister is using my costume. :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

How about a voice modulator.
    This can make a sound like a robot.

Greetings,
    Bertus

PS Fenris did make one on another forum.

7. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009