Hall switch

ghebaur

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

I am trying to find the right hall effect sensor to use it as a SWITCH with an MPC23017 I/O expander for a matrix "keypad". For multiple-key press i will use diodes like in the scheme below.
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/...ES/CONTROLLERS/images4/reeds_and_diodes_2.gif

The hall switchs will replace the mechanical switchs and it will have to act as a normally open switch when there is no magnetic field present and it will need to close the circuit when a magnetic field is present.

My question is. What kind o hall switch i need to use so i won't need to add other external components? What too look for in a datasheet to know that i got the right hall sensor?

ghebaur

Joined Jun 17, 2014
There is the miniature Honeywell SS400 series, you will need a tiny button magnet etc to complement it.
Max.
That's the type of hall switch i'm looking for but you have not understood my question. I need to identify the characteristics that allow me choose the sensor that fits my application.

I saw in a lot of circuits that they use a 'pull-up' resistor and the switch acts as a normally closed switch. I need it to do the exact opposite thing and without the resistor (other additional components).

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
That's the type of hall switch i'm looking for but you have not understood my question. I need to identify the characteristics that allow me choose the sensor that fits my application.

I saw in a lot of circuits that they use a 'pull-up' resistor and the switch acts as a normally open switch. I need it to do the exact opposite thing and without the resistor (other additional components).
I install Hall Effect switches in industrial applications. We get the sealed unit with a four pin connector on the end. No other components. Just hook it up to 24 volts. Of course the output of such unit (designed to work with 24 volt Allen-Bradley PLC or similar PLC) is also about 24 volts. If you feed it directly to the 5 volt uC, you will fry it. Perhaps a voltage divider on the uC end.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
it will have to act as a normally open switch when there is no magnetic field present and it will need to close the circuit when a magnetic field is present.
in a lot of circuits that they use a 'pull-up' resistor and the switch acts as a normally open switch. I need it to do the exact opposite thing and without the resistor
:confused: Seems you want it both ways? If you want it the first way then a Hall switch of the 'open collector' type should do. The MPC23017 has 100k internal pull-up resistors which can be selectively enabled using the GPPU register.

Last edited:

ghebaur

Joined Jun 17, 2014
:confused: Seems you want it both ways? If you want it the first way then a Hall switch of the 'open collector' type should do. The MPC23017 has 100k internal pull-up resistors which can be selectively enabled using the GPPU register.
Sorry, in the second quotation you made i meant 'normally closed'. I will try your suggestion and i'll come back with the results, some 3144 hall sensor, cheapest on aliexpress :D. Thanks.

@shteii01 24V is too much for my application which will be at most 5V. And the sensors should be as small as possible.