hall element current sensing

jawsal

Joined Mar 26, 2010
hi i am using the hall element for the for the measurement of flux around the current carrying conductor using CYSJ166A GaAs HALL-EFFECT ELEMENTS i am having the problem of interpreting my results i mean to say that calculating the output Vhall and then how can we estimate the amount of current in the conductor.
if anyone has used the hall element in some circuit please share the schematic
Thanks
regards

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Are your sensors integrated with a magnetic core (e.g. a ferrite or powdered iron core toroid) as part of the measurement technique? You may need to provide more detail about your measurement method to gain better informed comment from forum members.

Last edited:

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
A first order estimate for the current I would be based on the relationship for B at a known radial distance from the conductor center being

\(B=\frac{\mu_o I}{L} \ \ Tesla\)

where

L is the mean path length of a concentric flux line centered at the conductor axis and passing orthogonally through the Hall element sensor at the known radial distance.

\(\mu_o=4 \pi 10^{-7}\)

B would be known from the generated Hall voltage, so the current I could be deduced.

I'm not sure what adjustments (if any) are needed to the simple formula to account for finite conductor diameter and length and thereby give greater accuracy.

Another approach is the Rogowski Coil.