hall effect switch problems

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
meassuring direct onto the sensor i get 0.14 volts without a magnet and it drops to 0.1 volts with a magnet
Something is clearly amiss. The output of the HE sensor should swing between around 12 volts (without a magnet) and near 0 volts (with a magnet).

Do you have another HE sensor you can try?

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
i have removed both diodes from the circuit and i have replaced the 100ohms resistor from the sensor the base to a 10K.
i am getting 0.11 volts on base and it drops to 0.01 when stopped over a magnet
the collector is 2.26 volts and does not move when a magnet is placed over the sensor and is saturating the power transistor
I found information that leads me to strongly suspect that the output transistor you are using is an NPN darlington. That would explain the 2.26 volt figure that you are getting for the voltage at the collector of the BC548.

hgmjr

jasonspinmaster

Joined Mar 1, 2008
sorry . the base direct on the sensor. i get 0.13 volts on the base of the transistor
may be i need new HE switch, which ones would be good for this project

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
sorry . the base direct on the sensor. i get 0.13 volts on the base of the transistor
Let me make sure I understand what you are telling me.

You use the phrase "base of the sensor". That is a bit unclear to me. Strictly speaking the hall effect sensor has an output not a base. Are you referring to the output of the hall effect sensor when you use this phrase?

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
So the output of the HE sensor is swinging between near 0 volts with a magnet and near 2.6 volts without a magnet. That sounds a bit low to me.

As an experiment can you disconnect anything that is connected to the output of the HE sensor and measure what the output swings under the no-load condition with and without a magnet?

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Does the HE sensor you are now using have the A45 L label on it? Also, is this latest sensor brand new and never used? Could it have been damaged?

I wonder if the HE sensor now being used has been overstress some how.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
OK. Another experiment is in order.

Using a 1K resistor connect it between the output of the HE sensor and the +12 volt supply. This will determine if is needs a pull up to swing the full range.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
That is more like what I would expect. For the time being I would keep the 1K pullup and move on.

Can you now proceed to connect up the 10K resistor to the output of the HE sensor and see how your overall circuit works?

hgmjr

jasonspinmaster

Joined Mar 1, 2008
i get 0.73 volts without a magnet and it drops to 0.16 volts on a magnet
sorry i have to go out i hope we can finish this off . thanking you very much for your help so far