Hall Effect switch logic output

mkenney

Joined Feb 14, 2009
Finally got a few minutes to try some things out. As Ron H predicted, it still did not work. The only thing that changed was that the high side voltage went up to ~.630, still below the 2 Volts required for the BOB, break out board, to register it as a high.

Thanks again!!

Mark [mkenney]

mkenney

Joined Feb 14, 2009
I got some new sensor's in. Most function the same as the one I'm already messing with. One of them (datasheet attached) looks like it should work perfectly. A little more expensive but already made to be mounted. Don't know what the difference is but it shows 4.5+V when off and close to 0 when triggered. Should work!!!!

Mark [mkenney]

Attachments

macgregor

Joined Feb 14, 2009
I suspect that what ever you are connecting to the output pin is loading down your voltage readings.. also remember the voltmeter you are using can also load the output and give an incorrect reading..10K pull up resistor using a 5 volt dc supply should work perfect... suggest connecting the output of your device to a TTL buffer then use the output from the buffer amplifier 7407 ..this will isolate your output pin from any source that is pulling down the output from the device you are using.
Cheers Macgregor

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I suspect that what ever you are connecting to the output pin is loading down your voltage readings.. also remember the voltmeter you are using can also load the output and give an incorrect reading..10K pull up resistor using a 5 volt dc supply should work perfect... suggest connecting the output of your device to a TTL buffer then use the output from the buffer amplifier 7407 ..this will isolate your output pin from any source that is pulling down the output from the device you are using.
Cheers Macgregor
If you read the entire thread (daunting, I know, no sarcasm intended), you will find that he has no load except the multimeter, and if he disconnects the Hall effect device from the output, the remaining 10k pullup resistor will drive the multimeter to +5V.

deamin

Joined Mar 7, 2009
Hey Mark,

I'm probably a little too late for it to matter to you - now that you've got some other sensors that work but if not...

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like you've got the pinouts confused from the datasheet.

Check it out again:
Pin 1 should be Vcc
Pin 2 is Gnd
Pin 3 is the output

You're using the pinout from the SOT-23 package, not UA. At least that's the way I read it.

Dave

mkenney

Joined Feb 14, 2009
Hey Mark,

I'm probably a little too late for it to matter to you - now that you've got some other sensors that work but if not...

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like you've got the pinouts confused from the datasheet.

Check it out again:
Pin 1 should be Vcc
Pin 2 is Gnd
Pin 3 is the output

You're using the pinout from the SOT-23 package, not UA. At least that's the way I read it.

Dave
That did the trick!! Works great now. THANK-YOU!! Now when I get some free time and can get this mounted on the machine and actually doing something:)

Thanks again for the help!!!!

Mark [mkenney]

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Damn! Good catch, deamin! How did we miss that? I wonder how many members looked at the datasheet and made the same mistake that Mark and I made?:(

mkenney

Joined Feb 14, 2009
I still had to look at it more then once to see what he was saying. The mind wants to put those numbers in order:)

Mark [mkenney]