Hakko 936 with 907-ESD or 900M-ESD?

Waterbound

Joined Aug 14, 2014
Hi, I just purchased a used Hakko 936 from a buddy but he wasn't sure if the actual iron part was a genuine Hakko or 3rd party component. The control part with the transformer is definitely a genuine Hakko 936, in a used but working condition. Since the wand or iron handle part was kind of old and abused looking, I decided to pick up a few parts for it as they were on sale and got the nipple, sponge and handle for 907-ESD. I received the parts quickly and was excited to fix up my iron when I realized that I couldn't remove the nipple part and after reading my manual realized I might have a 900m-ESD instead of 907-ESD. I've attached a picture of the actual part in question and wondering if anyone can identify it. I did check the values with my multimeter for each pin per the manual and everything appears to check out. I can't unscrew the nipple part or at least it is very tight and afraid of breaking something, that's how tight or solid the nipple part is currently. so wondering if it was supposed to unscrew or is this a cheap throw away clone etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Waterbound

Joined Aug 14, 2014
I found out it is a 900M-ESD and was finally able to get the nipple off, looks like a real Hakko heating element as well. I tested the resistance according to the manual and all looks good. If anyone knows the difference between the two I would be greatly appreciative. I bought the replacement handle and nipple for the 907 but obviously they won't fit unless I unsolder the heating element from the existing handle and replace into the new handle. I think I will leave it alone until it dies since that seems a bit of work and I don't want to mess it up or break the element. If anyone wants me to take any pictures of the base, circuit board or whatever, don't hesitate to ask and hopefully will help someone out later!

Attachments