Hacking a 7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight and dimming it with DMX

69morpho

Joined May 17, 2014
Hi there,

I am considering to use about 20 mini LED flash lights for an art installation. They will be running off a power supplies (probably 3V) and DMX to dim their brightness. It should be a very simply flash light with a super-narrow zoom, only one mode (full power) and if possible under $10 each.

I've tried the brightness control with DMX on a test flashlight and it seems to work perfectly. Since those flashlights have a built-in circuitry that brings up the 1.5 V from the battery to above the forward voltage of the Cree Q5 LED (3.3+ V) I was wondering if dimming with DMX could do any harm to the circuitry and what the ideal power supply voltage would be.

I found the "7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light" on Amazon. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Erwin

69morpho

Joined May 17, 2014
Just a little update on the flashlight dimming project:
I got those 7W 300LM Mini CREE LED flashlights and I tested 2 different DMX controlled current limiting drivers from Shanghai EUChips Industrial - www.euchips.com
PX704 - has 4 channels and you can set the current either to 350 or 700mA
PX705 - has 3 channels and you can set the current to 300, 350, 500, 650 or 700mA
EUChips has been extremely helpful and you can order directly with PayPal. Contact Ivy Chang at ivy@euchips.com if you need further information.

Cheers,

Erwin