Hack for LV wall switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by moparts, Oct 23, 2008.

1. moparts

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 23, 2008

I am wondering if this approach is possible;

A wall switch panel (for a motorized curtain track) is connected via RJ11 cable to LV motor & the switch gives OPEN, CLOSE & STOP commands. Would it be possible to wire four limit switch (or hall effect or snap action switches or even photo interrupters) to the STOP button (in series maybe?) to stop the motor at the four possible locations, defined by the switch placement ? Guess whatever swt I may use will need power also. Basically the switches will generate additional STOP commands when they are tripped.

This is probably far more complicated than I imagine...being the electronic nitwit that I am. :confused:
  2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    If the switches are in series, all four of them would have to be closed at the same time to send a "stop" command.

If the switches are in parallel, any one of them can send a "stop" command, but will continue to send it. It would be as though you had pushed the stop button in and held it in.

You could use the switches in parallel to trigger a "monostable multivibrator" which in turn feeds the stop function. "Monostable multivibrator" is not as complicated as it sounds: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_10/8.html