H3YN-2 Timer with Motion Sensor Input

Noah Abbott

Joined Nov 30, 2016
Hello,

So I've been asked to fix a machine in one of our engineering buildings. It is a big old rube goldberg machine essentially, and it has two motors that power a little carrier system to bring the balls from the bottom to the top. There is a sensor attached that is pointed at the door, and the idea is that when someone passes by, the motor runs for just a few seconds, meaning it will take a lot of motion to actually get the balls going through. So where I come in is my dean handed me what USED to be attached to the machine, and all I have to work with is visual inspection of the thing and the parts that were given to me (and whatever tools/wires I have access to as well).

Tl;dr, here is my wiring question: I have two motors that I would like to pulse on (with a hot and neutral wire), an H3YN-2 timer (http://www.omronkft.hu/pdf_en/h3yn.pdf), a motion sensor with two wire in and two wire out (this thing isn't grounded ^_^), and a 120V plug also with a hot and neutral. I'm having a hard time hooking up the timer though. I see that I'm probably trying to operate it in pulse mode, so that the random external input (motion sensor) decides when it runs. So from that diagram, I think that I would wire the power over 9- and 14+ as well as INTO the motion sensor, run a wire from 5 to 13, plug the output of the motion sensor into 9+ and 13-, and my output will be 12+ and 8-?

I tried the above setup and the operating lights for the timer didn't even go on. I tried the timer out on a much more basic circuit and it did function, so I know it should work, but this setup didn't. Any thoughts? Am I doing this correctly?

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Are the two DIP switches set to the 'interval' mode? It seems like the motor output ought to be between pin 8 and neutral/ground.

Noah Abbott

Joined Nov 30, 2016
Embarrassingly enough I forgot to check the switches... I'll be sure to check that. And you think output is 8 and ground? Why? I am quite the novice in reading these data sheets.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Find a voltmeter, set it to AC and probe the pins in question until you find the one that is operating correctly ... Meaning that the 120 v turns on and off appropriately. Then connect the motor to that pin. The motor should have two terminals ... one line input and one neutral. Caution ... you are working with 120v.

Noah Abbott

Joined Nov 30, 2016
I actually did do this, and nothing was giving me an output unfortunately... I figure I'll change around the switches to give the correct setup and try again, but I'd like to be POSITIVE of my wiring going forward. It takes a while to hook everything up so I can't just try everything.