H-Bridges for 15A

Madmarcus

Joined Feb 28, 2013
I'm looking for a cheaper solution. Some of my students want to control a motor using an Arduino and H-bridges. Normally I'd be happy with their plans as we could either make an H-bridge circuit or perhaps purchase one. The problem is that finding transistors that can take 15A at 12V is more trouble than I thought it would be.

Any suggestions for options.

Madmarcus

Joined Feb 28, 2013
4 seconds on google.. there are tons more/ebay,etc...
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9107

sparkfun has quality products so I gave you that link versus some Chinese ebay stuff that might be cheaper but also of lower quality,etc..
Thank you for the link. As I mentioned in the first post I am looking for a cheaper solution. Sparkfun motor driver boards are terrific but my students need at least two motors that might draw 15A. $80 is beyond the budget of the class. However they have access to many passive components and can easily assemble a breadboard solution if we can find the proper mosfets. Unless I'm just really messing up the Digikey search it seems difficult to find h-bridge chips that claim to handle 15A.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
^^ thats gonna cost just as much as he didn't want to spend..not to mention is surface mount.

Madmarcus, have them "learn" to build a mosfet based h-driver with 4 individual mosfets just like the sparkfun board. Logic level mosfets can be used so that you don't need a driver IC
or even a relay based h-bridge.

and just because I'm picky.. in your first post..."I'm looking for a cheaper solution" does not help as you have not defined what you classify as cheap. But your second post did take care of that.

Of course also having a project where you are intending to drive multiple 15A motors and not being able to spend $80 is kind of silly too.. high current control ain't cheap.
Maybe they should decrease motor sizing to move into a cheaper solution. You can't expect to build a decent battlebot or whatever for under $100.

better/faster/cheaper... pick 2

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I just said on another thread and I'll copy it here:
How about the Infineon IPP042N03L G? Digi-Key has them for $1.27 (IPP042N03LGIN-ND); they turn fully on with a logic-level input and they have an on-state resistance of 4.2 milliohms. At 11 Amps, that gives you a power loss of half a watt.

But you do need a reliable H-bridge circuit. People are always looking for those!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I don´t understand why don´t they make their own H-bridges. You need 4 mosfets and a piece of veroboard. And maybe a bit of other circuitry if they need to go over 12V, but still it should be less than say $7-10 per bridge.

Madmarcus

Joined Feb 28, 2013
^^ thats gonna cost just as much as he didn't want to spend..not to mention is surface mount.

Madmarcus, have them "learn" to build a mosfet based h-driver with 4 individual mosfets just like the sparkfun board. Logic level mosfets can be used so that you don't need a driver IC
or even a relay based h-bridge.
A discrete mosfet based h-bridge was actually the starting option but the combination of wanting through hole and originally desiring both n and p channel mosfets started driving that price very high or, depending on the search parameters, finding no options. However I have since done my own search and it looks like there are some individual mosfets that will fit the bill. Its unclear what the students searched on that excluded them from the search but it looks like we'll go that route. A relay solution has been proposed by one student. He should be coming in today with some form of cost estimate also.

You are not being picky. I posted the original message in a great hurry. I should have waited and posted at a different time when I could have typed more.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
When you using P and N type Mosfets to build the H-Bridge motor controller, that is good and I also like that, because it can be reach the output close to Vcc, but in another side when the motor could be working fine from 8~12V, then you can use 4 N type Mosfets to build the H-Bridge motor controller.

Hello,
I am currently looking too for a cheap (~10$) h-bridge that can take ~12A at 9V.

I'm new to electronics, but from what I already find/understood, h-bridge with P at the top and N an the bottom is the best solution (while keeping it simple).

I found a mosfet that seems interesting, I think : the FDS8858CZ.
It's a Dual N & P-Channel MOSFET (N-Channel: 30V, 8.6A, 17.0mΩ P-Channel: -30V, -7.3A, 20.5mΩ). It seems to include a diode to protect from motor's back fire. They can be stacked to reach 15A. They seems to not dissipate a lot of power (not sure of that).

So this kind of mosfet, I think, can help for making simple circuit as they include in one chip several component (2 mosfets, 2 diodes)

I know this topic is old but it fits well my problem/solution.
Hope it help anyone looking for a cheap solution.