H-bridge driver for a 90VDC motor

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks, I see what you mean now.
So, would it be ok if I used two back-to-back zeners with a breakdown voltage of 15V each instead?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Alright, my friend, I'm back, and ready to rumble again.
And I'm ready to learn. :) From what's been said so far, I guess I had another misunderstanding about these things. I thought they were used on the "logic" side of a circuit. To protect that side of the circuit from spikes and other bad things, not on the "power" side of the circuit.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And I'm ready to learn. :) From what's been said so far, I guess I had another misunderstanding about these things. I thought they were used on the "logic" side of a circuit. To protect that side of the circuit from spikes and other bad things, not on the "power" side of the circuit.
They're used to protect the whole thing! Mosfets, powerful as they are, are very delicate components. And their price will wake up the fraternal/maternal instinct of any designer.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So, I'm already building the circuit, and will be testing it in the following days.

Capture 01.JPG

Question: Why do I feel a little uneasy about connecting the ground from the output of the 120VAC rectifier to the same ground of the rest of my circuit? This includes the MCU, oscillator, RS232 interface and a computer...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It sounds similar to a DC motor drive I am working on, RS232 Modbus control using a Picmicro, I have isolated the AC powered DC supply from the Pic with MOC8106 opto.
Using a slot opto for rpm monitor/control.
If your AC supply to the rectifier is galvanically isolated from the supply then you should be able to common up the -ve side of the HV supply.
Max.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Believe it or not, I'm about to finally start building this thing. I've already got all the components and I'm getting started on drawing the PCB.
I'm going to completely isolate the circuit using a DC-DC converter, and interface it to the MCU using an opto copuler, as Max has suggested. If all goes well, I might even add a simple external 555 controller instead of the MCU and post the whole thing in the completed projects collection.

Question: I'd like to make the motor come to a full stop real quick. For this, I'm planning on applying PWM reverse voltage through it while it's still spinning. Would the back EMF being generated by the motor destroy the MOSFETS? Or is the answer a matter of how much power the MOSFETS are capable of handling?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Normally braking would be achieved by turning on M2 & M3 but using a IR2110.
Max.
After looking at the datasheets, the main difference I could find was that the ir2110 lets you control the high and low side mosfets independently, thus allowing you to control the dead time between switching. But the ir2104 already includes a dead time of about 1/2 us.
Why are you suggesting a ir2110 instead? Do you think an ir2101 would be a better choice than the 2104? 'cause I have a few of those laying around.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I prefer the IR2110 because I can turn on fully the bottom mosfet while PWM'ing the top Mosfet this also conforms to the Picmicro PWM module standard output method.
And also gives the option of braking by switching on the bottom mosfets.
This would be the preferred way instead of reversing the voltage.
Max.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
After looking at the datasheets, the main difference I could find was that the ir2110 lets you control the high and low side mosfets independently, thus allowing you to control the dead time between switching. But the ir2104 already includes a dead time of about 1/2 us.
Why are you suggesting a ir2110 instead? Do you think an ir2101 would be a better choice than the 2104? 'cause I have a few of those laying around.
I learned the hard way (twice) that you don't want to reverse it to stop it if you are using a power supply. When you reverse it the voltage across the motor gets added pumping up the supply voltage. So shorting it with the bottom FET's is the way to go.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks Max. The IR2104 is supposed to work like that. With the lower side always on when the upper side is not active. So just by bringing both IR2104 inputs low, both lower fets remain active, allowing for the motor to dissipate its energy in its own winding (dynamic braking?)... I think... If I've said something stupid, please let me know.

Thanks for the warning, Ron. I'll try to avoid reversing the voltage to rapidly stop the motor... see if I can come up with a different technique.

Anyway, here's the motor. In a few days I'll be building the circuit and hope for the best.

c908de3a-c811-4191-b3f8-61c697bff571.jpg
Gonna give this a careful read, btw... see if I understand the problem thoroughly...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Question. Considering the diagram shown in post #88, how hard would it be to include back EMF into the simulation?
I'm guessing it would be real hard...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Have you seen the IR sheet on the comparison?
Max.
Thanks for posting. Yes, I have. And although this is a relatively low voltage application (90VDC) it's also highly inductive (although the transistors are being protected by TVSs) and low frequency (I don't think switching above 10 kHz will be necessary)