H-Bridge Design

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Falven, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Falven

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hello,
    I am pretty new to electronics. I want to design an H-bridge so I may switch a Linear Actuator On/Off and reverse the polarity using a microcontroller. The Motor/Linear Actuator is rated at 12V, 5A on load. The Microcontroller can generate 5V and a Maximum of 40mA to switch the circuit. How many inputs would I require from the Microcontroller? What kind of transistors and with what power ratings should I use?
    Thanks
    -Falven

2. Felo

Feb 20, 2012
    Hi, for FFW and REV operations, you can implement with only 2 I/O, for the transistors I would use TIP 1XX, MOSFET should have smallers foot print, use a fast flyback diode across power transistor (some transistor have one in already) do a google search I've got tons of hits. Pick one and if you have anymore questions, come back here.

3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
  4. Falven

Feb 27, 2010
    There are no SPDT Relays that can handle the power specifications I mentioned. What I am confused about is the schematic I would need and the power ratings for the Transistors.
    So I can just buy 4 Mosfetts (What power specs?) and set them up in this configuration, no diodes, resistors or anything and it will work reliably? What would be the duty cycle? Keep in mind I have never designed or built an H Bridge or anything similar really before so detailed help would be really appreciated.
    -Falven

5. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    What do you mean by this? Are you referring to your 40mA max uC output?

6. Falven

Feb 27, 2010
    No, what I mean by this is that there are no DPDT relays with a contact rating of 5A and a coild voltage of 12V that can be switched by my 40mA Microcontroller outputs.
    I believe a solid-state H-Bridge is my best option, but there are no IC's that can handle my power secifications either, so I need ot build one form scratch.
    My qeustion still stands...
    Thanks for the help thus far,
    -Falven

7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
  8. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    I didn't imply that you should drive relays directly from your uC. That's what driver transistors are for. Here's a basic discrete BJT H-Bridge controlled by a uC.

Here's a link to a marathon thread on the H-Bridge design. It includes some common pitfalls that are sometimes encountered.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=47688

[​IMG]

9. Falven

Feb 27, 2010
  10. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    All your Mosfets are upside down. They are N-channel so the drain connects to positive voltages. Look at the correct schematic in the datasheet for the Mosfet driver IC.

11. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    Ha, I actually designed this same H Bridge using relays without ever having looked at Wookie's post. Its a very easy design, and very simple and cheap. But its probably not power efficient. I have used it before though and successfully.