Guyz help me,..... im a newbie

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rcapolinaria, Jan 16, 2013.

1. rcapolinaria

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    does any one knows how to test for voltage avalance breakdown of a BJT? im using arduino microcontroller......

2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    For what.....

rcapolinaria likes this.
  3. SPQR

Nov 4, 2011
    Hmmmm...I think we're going to need more info.
    Is it an avalanche transistor, or a regular transistor you want to drive to avalanche?
    Do you want to look up the voltage and current characteristics on a datasheet and then apply them to the transistor via the Arduino?

Tell us exactly what you'd like to do.

rcapolinaria likes this.
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Increase the voltage until it avalanches?

rcapolinaria likes this.
  5. rcapolinaria

Jan 16, 2013

just a regular transistor....is it possible to test for its avalanche voltage without damaging the device....? because i wanted to create a BJT tester that will measure avalanche voltage so even without a datasheet....the user is aware of the maximum supply that a certain BJT device can handle.

6. rcapolinaria

Jan 16, 2013
    the microcontroller is only capable of reading voltage up to 5 volts..so if i'm going to increase the voltage until it avalanche, the voltage might be higher than 5 volts which will possibly damage my microcontroller.....is there any way to convert the actual voltage to fall between 0-5 volts to suit for the microcontroller input requirement? if there is...how to recover the actual voltage for the result display.....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Use a voltage divider.