Guys look at this video.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How I make PCBs

Making printed circuit boards is not difficult. The secret is be willing to experiment with the materials you have. A double sided PCB works better with photographic process, as opposed to the toner transfer I show.

shubham161

Joined Jul 22, 2012
How I make PCBs

Making printed circuit boards is not difficult. The secret is be willing to experiment with the materials you have. A double sided PCB works better with photographic process, as opposed to the toner transfer I show.
Thank you.

that's a long thread. Do you know how to put resist on the board. I mean that "cute" green color resist. That looks very cool and professional.

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Thank you.

that's a long thread. Do you know how to put resist on the board. I mean that "cute" green color resist. That looks very cool and professional.
There are a few different methods for doing the solder mask. You can get a UV cured paint type that, from what I have seen, is painted/spread on the board then partially cured. After it is dry you expose it to a UV light source with a transparency of the solder pads and other areas that you donot want the mask. Then the excess is cleaned off.

Another method is what that kid in the video showed which is a dry film that is stuck to the board and "ironed" on and exposed to UV light like the paint stuff.

Then there is what I do, which isn't really a solder mask. I just paint the board with a good acrylic spray paint and call it good. The heat from the iron when soldering the board will "burn" through the paint where you want it. It works and looks decent enough for my purposes.

shubham161

Joined Jul 22, 2012
Another method is what that kid in the video showed which is a dry film that is stuck to the board and "ironed" on and exposed to UV light like the paint stuff.

I love the way how you referred him as a kid. :p Perhaps I am just an embryo now. :D BTW, I had looked through your tutorial thread. From the picture i see you used express pcb. do you still use it? I searched the internet and there are no/very few tutorials on pcb design layout for single sided single layer pcb. I think you should write one because kids like me fail to take their first step since they don't know how to print the layout on the paper.

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I love the way how you referred him as a kid. :p Perhaps I am just an embryo now. :D
Well I am fairly certain I am older than the person in the video, and I tend to generalize the term for anyone younger than me, even if it is only a few years difference. :)

BTW, I had looked through your tutorial thread. From the picture i see you used express pcb. do you still use it? I searched the internet and there are no/very few tutorials on pcb design layout for single sided single layer pcb. I think you should write one because kids like me fail to take their first step since they don't know how to print the layout on the paper.
I believe that you may have me mixed up with Bill_Marsden, as I have not posted any tutorials, although I have used PCB Express in the past. I use Eagle now because I think that it is considerably better than PCB Express.

I can tell you that if you are using PCB Express, make all your traces on the bottom layer (green) and print it out that way without any mirror option selected. That will get you the proper layout for through hole parts. Otherwise just use the top layer (red) for SMD. As for the placement of the devices it kind of depends on the complexity of the circuit, mixed digital/analog, RF, board size, etc...