Guns #2 (or, is it #3?)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
ah, man! I didn't realize the compulsory waiting period for insensitive jokes was over, or I would have beat you to the punch.
Hmm, you may be right. To me it's one of man's great qualities to seek humour in the face of hardship, but I understand some people may have different views.

Anyway I wasn't poking fun at anyone who had been harmed in the tragedy, I was poking fun at YOU for a less than perfect choice of stock. ;) Personally I would have chosen a plastic full stock for your Mosberg, the type that has the slots for some extra rounds. Tactically better than a pistol style stock for so many reasons. :)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hmm, you may be right. To me it's one of man's great qualities to seek humour in the face of hardship, but I understand some people may have different views.

Anyway I wasn't poking fun at anyone who had been harmed in the tragedy, I was poking fun at YOU for a less than perfect choice of stock. ;) Personally I would have chosen a plastic full stock for your Mosberg, the type that has the slots for some extra rounds. Tactically better than a pistol style stock for so many reasons. :)
ah, I see. I figured you were making fun of me, but I thought you were making fun of me for being one of those gun toting wild west Americans. But I misjudged you. I will look into the plastic stocks; I haven't made a purchase yet after all :).

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Guns are a lot like cars; you can get one that's just functional, for a low price, or one that's decked out in gizmos and/or bling, for a high price. Gun owners can get very deep into the gadget/bling craving. Some shotguns that are 2000$ are 2000$ because they have hand carved murals in the stock and gold plated landscape scenes. Totally ridiculous IMO;

So you wouldn't consider buying one of these: http://guns.findthebest.com/l/845/Beretta-Imperial-Montecarlo.

Is that right?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
... I will look into the plastic stocks; I haven't made a purchase yet after all :).
Sorry I thought you bought a Mossberg with pistol grip.

If you have not yet made a purchase, then you should weigh up the balance of the 5 shot version which handles so much nicer and is much quicker to swing around and point. The 9 shot "Hero" type version is really nose heavy and unpleasant to shoot properly from the shoulder.

It's up to you whether you want a gun that handles much worse for the sake of 4 extra rounds in the mag. :)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Sorry I thought you bought a Mossberg with pistol grip.

If you have not yet made a purchase, then you should weigh up the balance of the 5 shot version which handles so much nicer and is much quicker to swing around and point. The 9 shot "Hero" type version is really nose heavy and unpleasant to shoot properly from the shoulder.

It's up to you whether you want a gun that handles much worse for the sake of 4 extra rounds in the mag. :)
oh, no, what I meant was that I hadn't bought the collapsible folding stock yet. I did indeed buy the 9 shot version with pistol grip. I was saying that I didn't like the pistol grip, but was planning to buy the collapsible stock, then you said something about a crappy stock (or whatever it was) and I thought you were referring to the collapsible one.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
oh, no, what I meant was that I hadn't bought the collapsible folding stock yet. I did indeed buy the 9 shot version with pistol grip. I was saying that I didn't like the pistol grip, but was planning to buy the collapsible stock, then you said something about a crappy stock (or whatever it was) and I thought you were referring to the collapsible one.
You can expand on the 9 shot limit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi2sjO7yH3g&feature=watch_response

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Is bird shot effective as home defense ammo?
I want to order some bulk 12ga ammo. I want to get something that will work for the most possible scenarios (it's my zombie apocalypse stockpile after all). I see myself using the shotgun for home defense and shooting varmints. I won't be using if for big game; I have a rifle for that. So I was thinking bird shot, would be good for birds and probably varmints, but will it stop a bath salts crazed intruder?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Is bird shot effective as home defense ammo?
I want to order some bulk 12ga ammo. I want to get something that will work for the most possible scenarios (it's my zombie apocalypse stockpile after all). I see myself using the shotgun for home defense and shooting varmints. I won't be using if for big game; I have a rifle for that. So I was thinking bird shot, would be good for birds and probably varmints, but will it stop a bath salts crazed intruder?
In the ranges typical of self defense with a shotgun, your bird shot will likely leave a hole about the size of pie plate, and may or may not stop an intruder. BB's or BBB's will because the backbone will likely be missing from that pie plate area.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
In the ranges typical of self defense with a shotgun, your bird shot will likely leave a hole about the size of pie plate, and may or may not stop an intruder. BB's or BBB's will because the backbone will likely be missing from that pie plate area.
well that's certainly a gruesome mental image. I would hate to clean up the mess after a human pie explosion.