Guns #2 (or, is it #3?)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Here's what I picked up at the gun show today (for the sole reason that I wanted them and for no political reason):

Mossberg 500 with rails
Taurus 38sp snubnose
Kel-tec 9mm

Which brings the total family arsenal up to this:

Enfield .303 WWII British Sniper rifle (mine)
Cheap Savage .22LR - (for my daughters some day)
Mossberg 500 with rails - (mine)
Benajmin Sheridan .177 Pellet gun (for my daughters some day)
Taurus 38sp snubnose (my mom's)
Kel-tec 9mm - (my wife's)
Taurus .45ACP - (mine)
Glock .40SW - (my BIL's)

Attachments

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I've got one of the old (5yr?) Kel-tec 9mm. The trigger pull is horrendous, but it does fire every single time, without hiccups.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've got one of the old (5yr?) Kel-tec 9mm. The trigger pull is horrendous, but it does fire every single time, without hiccups.
Good to know. I was already thinking about taking it back, after getting it home and realizing there was no safety (DOH!). Also it feels cheaply made; the composite body flexes around a lot and has a big gap between the slide. That trigger is one more nail in it's coffin. Now I guess the deal is sealed, good thing I didn't fire it.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
That is some serious ordnance, Stantor. I pity the fool who picks your house for an un-invited visit.

I've never before owned a handgun, being a lifetime hunting shotgunner, but that mean-looking (glock?) with the laser sight makes me wanna take a Clint Eastwood stance in front of the mirror and intone than immortal movie line....

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
You know, if these were fishing rods, my mum would ask "how many can yiu fish with at once?"

So, how many can you shoot at once.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Good to know. I was already thinking about taking it back, after getting it home and realizing there was no safety (DOH!).
Does your 38 snubbie have a safety? ;)

Nothing wrong with a hard trigger pull on a compact. You don't expect to be sharpshooting with it.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I used to have the same gun but decked out with all the tack. rails and everything else. It was a police issue gun so it was shortened and all that at the factory. I sure miss it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You know, if these were fishing rods, my mum would ask "how many can yiu fish with at once?"

So, how many can you shoot at once.
Well, it is the family arsenal, not the personal arsenal of strantor. I have 3, which I would not use simultaneously; I have my long range gun, short range gun, and a pistol to carry if need be. A gun for every situation; my collection is complete. :)

Does your 38 snubbie have a safety? ;)

Nothing wrong with a hard trigger pull on a compact. You don't expect to be sharpshooting with it.
No, no safety on that one either, but I knew that when we bought it and my mom was OK with that, because of the hard trigger pull. Inconceivable that it would go off in a purse. Now my wife wants one more like my moms, so we are going back and see if we can exchange.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well I took it to a gun shop down the street, hoping I could trade it in (at the price I paid or a little less) since it's never been fired, but they only offered me about 40% of what I paid yesterday. I called the guy I bought it from and he said he would give me 70%. I'm not in the mood to take such a loss, so we're keeping it for now. The guy at the gun shop tried to talk me into keeping it though, oddly. He said he shoots one and he said the same thing you said "it's never jammed, misfired, or had any other problem." He said it's well made and also the slimmest profile of any 9mm on the market. I don't think that my wife is going to notice that the trigger isn't perfect, since it's her first gun.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I went to the range today also, a friend was there sighting in his new toy.
It's a Remington mod 700 in 300 Win Mag. The real killer, the shells are $39.95 for a box of 20 :eek:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It's a Remington mod 700 in 300 Win Mag. The real killer, the shells are $39.95 for a box of 20 :eek:
That was the gun I shot my first deer with. I was 12. I knew nothing about guns, apart from my 22LR and my pellet gun. My brother in law thought it would be funny to let me sight in on something and pull the trigger without knowing what was about to happen. He said I hit the back of the deer stand, but I don't remember that. I just remember seeing him laugh, with no sound (wasn't wearing ear muffs), for about 5 minutes.

For the record, it was a doe (not a trophy), I cleaned and gutted it, and we ate it.

We shot the kel-tec today and I was impressed with it, so was my wife. I was even more impressed by my wife's natural shooting badassness. It was her first time shooting a gun and she was shooting groups with only a few broken (by range gunfire) pointers from me. We went with my brother in law (different BIL than the guy in story above); he showed up with a tricked out glock and she made him look like a chump.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
My grandfather was the son of a gamekeeper in Scotland. Five generations of gamekeepers for one of the big estates. All the free fishing and shooting he could ask for, but his father made him become a clerk.

He says it was the biggest regret of his life.

Stills goes fishing and shooting though.

If you are into that stuff you might like a book called 'Isolation Shepherd'. There's a film too which you can see on YouTube. I enjoyed it a lot.

If I may derail off topic slightly - what can be done with a barrel which has slightly corroded. It was my grandfather's air rifle - but I'm not entirely convinced with its safety.

Safety first.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
many years ago, a buddy bought a mossberg 12 gauge. Not sure of the model. On his third shot the barrel flew off. Sent it back for warranty. All excited the day he got it back, we went duck hunting. Stopped by the wardens who checked for the mandatory 3 shell plug and it failed. They siezed the gun and he was ticketed. Turned out the factory never put the plug back in, but guess it was his fault for not checking.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
They have probably improved the quality since then or else he just got a lemon. Moss berg is a good gun. That specific model ( mossberg 500) is what the navy uses because it is a good blend of reliability and price.

With regards to the air rifle barrel, I would give it a shot. If it were a regular powder rifle I would not even think about shooting it

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Probably nobody can answer this question here because most users are from the US but I wonder what qualifies a shotgun to be non-restricted or prohibited.

Example: Mossberg 500 could be obtained with a shorter barrel and/or higher capacity magazines etc. Why would a magazines capacity be limited to 3 shells for hunting instead of 5 for example (if you take the plug out)?

In general, what qualifies a shotgun to be illegal? And why?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Oh it's not a power rifle - I think those are banned. Pretty much the only guns here are shot guns, hunting rifles, sporting pistols and air rifles - nothing interesting. ;)

My concern is that with the barrel being in bad shape, a pellet might get stuck. It hasn't been fired for at least 60 years.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Oh it's not a power rifle - I think those are banned. Pretty much the only guns here are shot guns, hunting rifles, sporting pistols and air rifles - nothing interesting. ;)

My concern is that with the barrel being in bad shape, a pellet might get stuck. It hasn't been fired for at least 60 years.
Right it could get stuck but I can't imagine that would be a catastrophic failure. If it were a regular gun and the bullet got stuck the barrel would (or might) explode. You might get a gun cleaning kit and run the wire brush through it tour thoroughly first. It might not even work as the seals have likely turned to stone by now.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Probably nobody can answer this question here because most users are from the US but I wonder what qualifies a shotgun to be non-restricted or prohibited.

Example: Mossberg 500 could be obtained with a shorter barrel and/or higher capacity magazines etc. Why would a magazines capacity be limited to 3 shells for hunting instead of 5 for example (if you take the plug out)?

In general, what qualifies a shotgun to be illegal? And why?
congratulations if you can decipher the legislation here in Canada as to the classifications of arms. 'Modified' seams to be prominent, moving arms from one class to another, trumping the manufactured lengths. Semi/auto plays consideration as well, with auto almost always being a deal killer. Who knows about the 3 shot plug, maybe just to keep the kooks under control. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be hard to exceed the duck limit if pumping 5 rounds into a rising flock in a barley field.