Gun Discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, May 2, 2013.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Moderator note:
    This thread has been split off from Bicycles & biking.
    Bill

I haven't been online in a couple of days as there was a problem with my cable.

I took this picture yesterday. I was riding down the bike path and I look over and see this massive gator! I'm telling people it was probably 15-16ft long. That probably sounds like an exaggeration but I swear, this is the biggest one I have ever seen, in a zoo, on TV, anywhere. I wish I could get a better pic but my phone was zoomed in all the way already. The wife brought a real camera today in case we saw it again, but no luck.

[​IMG]

My wife brought her camera, and this is what I brought:

[​IMG]

Before anybody says it, I realize that alligator attacks are not common and that "he probably has more to fear from me than I do from him" and all that crap. I don't care. Seeing an alligator of man-eating proportions is the only excuse I need to carry a gun on my bicycle.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
    SgtWookie and DerStrom8 like this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Fortunately, you probably will not have a reason to use it.
    If you do have to shoot him(her) do it and leave. The people that kill alligators, mad dogs, etc. for a living are very jealous about people encroaching on their jobs. They will try to have you arrested for "cruelty to animals" instead of giving you a medal for eliminating a serious threat.

3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I have only been to Houston once or twice, and didn't realize that there were alligators there. Once, I got off the expressway by accident, stopped at a convenience store for directions, and saw some predators, but they were two-legged. I had a carry permit and was. Hope you have a permit.

4. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    C'mon man, this is Texas.

On a more serious note though, I do hold a valid CHL. I got it when I lived in Virgina, and Vriginia & Texas have reciprocity, so my permit is "good" here. BUT there's a clause about moving; if you reside in Texas >30 days (or some # of days) then you are expected to get a Texas CHL. My CHL has outworn its welcome long ago and I really should get a Texas one. That's on the list of things to do, under the column of "when I get the time & money."

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I suggest "sooner". The Law doesn't care when you have the time or money unless it was the day before they caught you...but you already know that.

6. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    What is that, 9mm or 40 cal?

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    You better get busy,you can read your serial number on the picture.

8. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    .45ACP
    Yeah? Whatcha gonna do with that info?

9. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I had to smile then I saw the picture of the gun packing in your pannier. If I had done that. People would have consider me as a raving mad lunatic. Called the police, and the whole thing could have been quite ugly.
    Edit: Not some critic just pointing out differences then it comes to gun control laws world wide.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  10. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Probably nothing, but be advised that lots of cops (and some others) would run the SN through NCIC, just for grins. It will come back as registered to someone and/or stolen. If it's registered to someone other than you, no harm, no foul. If it's registered to you, and you don't care who knows, still no problem. If it happened to come back as stolen, that's a different story.

11. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Well some people here would consider me a raving lunatic also, which is why it concealed in the bag and not exposed on my hip or in some sort of bicycle-mount gun rack. It's technically not illegal to carry an unconcealed weapon. According to law, you can walk around with a gun; as long as you aren't pointing it at people or making threatening gestures, you can't be charged with a crime. HOWEVER, there's a saying here: "You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride," which means that the cops may not be able to charge you with a crime, BUT they can hassle you endlessly and even take you in the police car to jail and hold you there for up to 24hrs for no reason. That's what usually happens to people who try to legally carry weapons in public. It makes people nervous, so they call the police, and then the police are expected to "do something" about you, so you end up being harassed into compliance or spend a day in jail. Every once in a while though, the cops are cool, or someone who really knows the law and how to deal with cops gets away with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9wahCTz08

12. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Loosie, clear out your inbox!

13. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    I have a buddy who shoots a 40cal revolver in competitions. He hand loads a lighter round for accuracy. He's a machinist, he buy's and modifies quick release adaptors which he wears 2 on his belt.

I used to work for a company here called "Action Target" based in Utah and have a local facility for training. They have several types (Military, Police and Civilian) hand to hand combat and defensive weapons.

If you've not had any Military Training or just want to brush up, finding one of these facilities is a fun way to learn Tactical Defense.

I don't know how close you are to this one.

http://www.shootersalley.net/shooting-range/

14. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Guys, how did this thread get derailed about guns? Do I need to split it off?

Just saying.

killivolt likes this.
  15. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Sorry Bill, I don't think it's wise to talk about things like concealed weapons, without supporting the idea of how to handle one properly. (Front to Back knowledge)

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It certainly isn't about Bicycles any more, but it is interesting and within the limits of the site, I think. If you want to split it for a better title, it won't bother me at all.

17. senormechanico

May 5, 2013
  18. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Don't get too comfortable. There are a bunch of them here, too.

Oh, and you'll have to raise your level of consciousness a notch to be worthy of social intercourse on this site.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Hey, I got nothing against a good rant, but it's more interesting if you include at least one thing nobody has heard a dozen times before.

Brownout likes this.
  20. poopscoop

Dec 12, 2012
    I always carry when I'm anywhere near wild animals or poorly trained dogs.

I have a concealed license, and while in many states open carry is legal, it's just outright stupid. It attracts unnecessary attention and is INCREDIBLY antisocial. No one wants to be friends with the guy carrying a .45 on his hip in a grocery store.

That being said, there are some very smart individuals who open carry as a statement about personal liberties. These people are usually equipped to have an honest discussion and support their viewpoints, and I respect them. I do not have the patience nor the knowledge to be one of those individuals, so I just avoid the confrontation.