Guitar Pedal issues

pksherby

Joined May 10, 2013
I have a Guitar Pedal made digittech, a Eric Clapton signature 7 model pedal. All of a sudden it now produces a white noise / hissing sound in the background. Any Idea's as to what is causing it? output filter stage, filter caps. Aybody know of where to get good schematics of guitar pedals?

Meixner

Joined Sep 26, 2011
I think that pedal is digitally modeled and probably not repairable by the average person. I think your best option is to return it to the manufacturer for repair.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Keep talking. According to my search, there is no "digittech" manufacturer, and Digitech doesn't make an "Eric Clapton" or a "Signature".

Other than that, white noise generally comes from the input stage.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Meixner is right, that pedal uses DSP digital modelling to give the "effect".

I doubt that the DSP chip is causing the white noise. A lot of digital pedals have a FET front end, to give a very high input impedance and the FET can be blown from static etc on the guitar jack. The symptom is white noise and/or a big loss in gain (so it gets turned up more and gets more noise also).

If it is easy to pull apart then have a look at the PCB to see if there is a discrete FET front end.

Large clear photos of the PCB both sides will help a lot if you want further help with the repair. :)