Guidelines for UPS charging/discharging

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by outlucky, Nov 25, 2012.

1. outlucky

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Guys, i am working for a Power Plant project. This is a 130kVA UPS. Since i am a newbie, i wish to understand the procedure on how the Charging process is going to take place. Further, his UPS would be used to power up the Distributed Control System (MaxDNA). Further interconnection procedures would be helpful.

PS: Guys, please pardon my noob questions. I am newbie in this field.

2. outlucky

Nov 25, 2012
    Oops, i thought this thread would have overflowed with replies.

Anyways, the charging was done on DG power since the availability of grid power is unpredictable and at the same time of lower grade. By grade i mean the voltage/frequency variations are there. The charging time was 18hrs followed by discharging for about 6 hours. In this process, the resistor bank which we were using got burnt due to some reason best known to God (investigation under progress).

3. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    How about telling us what UPS model and manufacturer you are talking about?

4. outlucky

Nov 25, 2012
    The said system is Hipulse series UPS, 130KVA Emerson make.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    From looking on the internet, I conclude that Emerson Hipulse is still in business. I suggest that the people that made that machine know how to use it much better than anyone here.

6. outlucky

Nov 25, 2012
    Appreciate and completely agree. The manufacturer knows better about the system, however, i am sure you people can help me out with what all things need to be taken care of, recorded and monitored during the charging of UPS and DCS power up.

7. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    It should be described in the installation/operation manual.

IF this is the right manual you may find some info here.

8. outlucky

Nov 25, 2012
    Sorry for late reply. The manual was indeed very helpful. Let me go through it, and i will be back with my questions.

Thanks a lot:)