GUI control panel

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by rakeshkool27, Mar 31, 2013.

1. rakeshkool27

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Hello friends,

I am doing a project on PC based load control in which the output is controlled through the hyperterminal by the RS232 serial communication.

As you know hyperterminal is not that attractive or user friendly, can you suggest some idea how to create a GUI for communication with the AVR microcontroller through RS232. Please throw some light on it.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
  3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I typically roll my own using windows forms, or WPF. That way, I can customize the GUI to however I'd like...It's as easy as creating a serialPort object, registering handlers(winforms takes care of this automatically), and determining what to do when...
  4. rakeshkool27

Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks GetDeviceInfo for your suggestion.

I downloaded the software and looked it.

I think I can make the GUI for serial COM port. Right?? It will require some intense programming work I guess.
  5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Microsoft's Visual Basic has been my preferred Windows programming language since I first used it decades ago. It cranks out decent programs fast with (to me) a minimum of grunt work programming.

The VB express edition is a free download.
  6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Hyperterminal would not be my choice. There are many programming platforms available which will allow you to create a GUI. Visual BASIC, Visual C, Labview, MATLAB come to mind.
  7. rakeshkool27

Jan 7, 2011
    Hello ErnieM, I do have Microsoft Visual Studio and did some basic programming work in it but it was a long time ago. Quite not in touch with it these days,but I have never done any GUI or programs for any such hardware project related with microcontrollers.

Yes MrChips quite a lot of suggestions. MATLAB is also a good choice.

I do want to ask if any tutorials are available for making such GUI for interfacing with microcontrollers through the COM port.

In hyperterminal, we just need to adjust the settings for the COM port,its baud rate etc and it goes ready for serial communication. Similarly can we make the settings in other programs such as MATLAB.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013