growing things ?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Here's an example how hot these peppers are. If you cut one up without latex glove your hands feel like you dipped them in gas and lit them on fire for 10 hours you will just be in agony! I tried to put a lil tip of one in a marinara sauce and it was way way too hot for me to eat.

Here's an example how hot these peppers are. If you cut one up without latex glove your hands feel like you dipped them in gas and lit them on fire for 10 hours you will just be in agony! I tried to put a lil tip of one in a marinara sauce and it was way way too hot for me to eat.
That's pretty Hot! LOL!

I grow Jalapenos and they get to be good sized.

I stuff them with cream cheese....dip them in egg then breadcrumbs then freeze them. If you don't freeze them all the cheese comes out when you deep fry them.
Split Infinity

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
For heat scale they use Scoffield units of heat.
bell pepper 40
Japaleno 6000
Habanero 100,000-300,000
Butch-T's, Ghosts, and Scorpions 1,000,000 - 1,400,000

For heat scale they use Scoffield units of heat.
bell pepper 40
Japaleno 6000
Habanero 100,000-300,000
Butch-T's, Ghosts, and Scorpions 1,000,000 - 1,400,000
Yeah..I guess Birds are not effected by the Capsasin as they will eat this stuff.
I have heard of a New Hot Pepper called Hell's Crown...as it is a small round pepper that looks like a crown from the top.

Split Infinity

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Lots of animals aren't, insects seem to be. A good friend from HS is a biochemist and holistic healer so I'm mailing her dried peppers for her to concoct creams, then I'm gonna give em to my doctor to dispense and see the results. Hopefully we find a good organic formulation and can sell it. Oh and the superhot peppers take 30-45 days to germinate! Isn't that crazy! Been trying to grow poppies outdoors but spidermites just destroy them as soon as spring hits. Its crazy like their a spidermite magnet. Goes from totally clean to infested and dying in 1 week. I'm too scared of em to bring em indoors.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Chillis are designed to be eaten by birds so they can spread the seeds far and wide. They don't feel the heat. The heat is a deterrent to most mammals which are less good at spreading the seeds.
Gloves are a good idea for all hot chillis. I was chopping up habaneros and didn't feel anything but the next day my hand was covered in blisters.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Lots of animals aren't, insects seem to be. A good friend from HS is a biochemist and holistic healer so I'm mailing her dried peppers for her to concoct creams, then I'm gonna give em to my doctor to dispense and see the results. Hopefully we find a good organic formulation and can sell it. Oh and the superhot peppers take 30-45 days to germinate! Isn't that crazy! Been trying to grow poppies outdoors but spidermites just destroy them as soon as spring hits. Its crazy like their a spidermite magnet. Goes from totally clean to infested and dying in 1 week. I'm too scared of em to bring em indoors.
My ghost peppers typically take ~2 weeks to sprout. Perhaps this is a regional thing?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I'd try to grow with LEDs and startup with LEDs.

You need 660nm, 630nm, blue preferably 445nm + some white light as well.

10W of each or 20W + a few 3W whites are good enough to start up seeds in a box.

If the plants get larger they block out light so that won't be sufficient anymore.

Advantage is you can mount the LEDs very close, 10cm or 15cm. And much less heat than CFL/HID lights.

I have nearly 400 Watts LED running now permanently.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
My ghost peppers typically take ~2 weeks to sprout. Perhaps this is a regional thing?
Nah strain thing. Occasionally they'll come up a lil quicker but I've never seen 2 weeks for a Ghost or Scorpion, at least not a real one. The markets flooded with hybrids and knockoffs so you have to be very careful who you get your seeds from. I planted 100 ghosts in 1 inch rockwool cubes on a propagation mat and fasted I got was 28 days. Possibly your ghosts have some other genes in it.

You gotta realize when the record breaks everyone tries to breed those seeds to sell cause as for the 1st Red Moruga Scorpions they were selling for $15 a seed. So people try to make seeds and don't realize to make purestrain seeds you need to have them isolated, which most people don't. I only buy my pepper seeds from 2 suppliers.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Nah strain thing. Occasionally they'll come up a lil quicker but I've never seen 2 weeks for a Ghost or Scorpion, at least not a real one. The markets flooded with hybrids and knockoffs so you have to be very careful who you get your seeds from. I planted 100 ghosts in 1 inch rockwool cubes on a propagation mat and fasted I got was 28 days. Possibly your ghosts have some other genes in it.

You gotta realize when the record breaks everyone tries to breed those seeds to sell cause as for the 1st Red Moruga Scorpions they were selling for $15 a seed. So people try to make seeds and don't realize to make purestrain seeds you need to have them isolated, which most people don't. I only buy my pepper seeds from 2 suppliers.
I grew mine from seeds harvested from a few peppers from my local university's farmstore. It is possible that they are hybrids, but I'd imagine people that study plants could figure out how to not cross-pollinate a self-pollinating plant (the farmstore is run by the agriculture dept.). The peppers certainly are hot enough to be ghost peppers, so I have faith that they are.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I'll stay with the black pepper corns from Tesco- strong enough.

By the way, having many Antirhinum seeds here from outdoors harvest, if anyone is interested. They make nice and rewarding flowers.

Very tiny seeds but not that hard to grow.

Maybe I should put them on eBay.