growing things 2 ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am wondering once you have an herb , veg , or fruit plant , bush ,...etc

Where can you extract the seeds so you don't have to buy the seed packets/seeds at a home and garden center.

Just curious on how the home and garden centers get the seeds / where outside do you find them (and when)

question is for the planting experts
the native americans must of had a way to find the seeds and plant them / use existing things in nature with out store intervention

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
But I am wondering if there is any difference in say useing the outside seeds on a strawberry (say 3 or 4 seeds out of the 200)

or buying a package of seeds at a garden store?

Also I know they sell starter or seedlings plants ..etc for herbs , shrubs ,... another things

But do they sell starter/seedlings for some fruits and vegatables

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
But I am wondering if there is any difference in say useing the outside seeds on a strawberry (say 3 or 4 seeds out of the 200)

or buying a package of seeds at a garden store?
The difference is in the way the seeds are harvested & stored. There are seed handling procedures in order to get a seed to be ready to germinate. I have successfully used seeds from a ghost pepper to grow plants and use the seeds from those peppers to grow more. I have also used a lychee seed (from a fruit after eating it, of course:)) and gotten it to sprout/grow(it's too cold to sustain it here). Each type of seed has its own process to ready it.

But do they sell starter/seedlings for some fruits and vegatables
Yes, yes, they do....
Here, one can get mango , orange, lemon, tomato, lettuce, cilantro, and many more as a starter plant!

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Some will work, some won't. Some seeds need to have a frost before they will germinate, which can be recreated in a freezer in some cases.
A lot of fruit and vegetables are hybrids, which means for example a tomato you might get is made from seed from a tomato of one strain, pollenated by another strain. If you plant seeds from the tomato you bought in the shop then the tomatoes that grow could be very different to the ones you bought. It's quite possible the seeds will be sterile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_hybrid

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Every year I go around my garden and collect the seeds from all the flowers for replanting the following year. I store the seeds in the return envelopes I receive in the mail.
Nothing gets wasted in my kingdom.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Tomatoes and peppers will grow fine from seeds extracted from the fruits. You just dry them out on some wadding paper for a few days then plant or germinate the seeds in the way you prefer.

We get regular rains and moist soil and can just throw tomatoes etc out in the garden and get plants growing up from that.

The good point compared to buying seeds is you get to grow a proven winner that tasted really good, so obviously you keep seeds from the very best fruits you bought.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The good point compared to buying seeds is you get to grow a proven winner that tasted really good, so obviously you keep seeds from the very best fruits you bought.
But if your growing 10 types of tomatoes and peppers you better know what your doing or your just gonna end up with 1000's of unstable hybrid seeds. For my peppers I seperate strains by 100 yards, tomatoes 50 yards. Anyone growing the Tasti-Lee's that publix bought the rights for? I picked some seeds out of em and they grew great here in winter and fall. They love that cold weather. For those that haven't tried a Tasti-lee tomato try one. Its the sweetest tomato I've ever seen. You can actaully tear one open and see the sugar crystals.

Okra's another fun beginner veggie. They grow fast and tall! But 4 plants you can have fresh okra 3 times a week for 4 months.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Curious for the commerical big farmers do they buy there seeds for crop or reuse from a little of there crop for next year ?

Seems to be more cheaper probably to uses from there farms directly with no intervention from an agway or other farming store ( other then maybe ofcourse farming tools / machines )

just think about recycleing

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Curious for the commerical big farmers do they buy there seeds for crop or reuse from a little of there crop for next year ?

Seems to be more cheaper probably to uses from there farms directly with no intervention from an agway or other farming store ( other then maybe ofcourse farming tools / machines )

just think about recycleing
Depends, usually they buy them as starters from the ag dept of the local uni. USF breeds all our blueberries, strawberries, and peaches to grow down here in this climate, each season they have a huge sale to sell to the growers. Many plant from seed but its faster and more economical to buy bulk starters already 4 inches tall. Other plants they just use seed or the plant lives year round and resprouts in spring. With wine grapes they have a root stock, then you can buy the actual vine type that grafts onto the root stock. So when you order high dollar wine from mnf. It list like

Roster Tail 2006
Rootstock A4356B
VineStock VB-3426
Aged X years
and a bunch of other data.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Peat soil is really bad, from bags. Plants twist their leaves after a month under LED light. Stunted, slow start, many seeds not developing.

It is only for mixing in outdoors and for young plants to startup.

They need minerals to develope! I figured out from research and actual LED growth.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Peat soil is really bad, from bags. Plants twist their leaves after a month under LED light. Stunted, slow start, many seeds not developing.

It is only for mixing in outdoors and for young plants to startup.

They need minerals to develope! I figured out from research and actual LED growth.
Stem twisting and leaf ruffling is usually too much water with no dry time. Which would make sense since LED's produce almost no heat. So your hydration is dependent on evaporation and plant intake which is slow to start. Check bottoms of leaves near stalk for signs edema. I don't know about LED's because their just not up to par for real growth indoors. The lowest I use is CFL's, HID's, and occasionally 4 ft flourescents usually 4 x 4. They work for seedlings but anything past 2 weeks they need a proper MH or HPS. Not a big fan of soil but as long as your not using Hunters Choice crap cheapola soil your fine. If you use standard garden soil then add vermiculate and perlite thats your best bet. Then invest in some good fertz from General Hydro or another quality fert. I personally like to start em in 4 inch rockwool cubes then put those into lavarock or clay pellets in bigger pots when their ready to go under HID's.

Last edited: