ground for solar system

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by aac9876, Jan 7, 2010.

1. aac9876

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 9, 2006
    I need a separate ground system for a battery system. dont want to tie in to house system.want s separate system. The ONLY possible place within reach is a cement
    pier/sonatube that goes 36 inches in to the dirt and has a rebar all the way to the bottom
    and that is connected to the bracket for a wood post and I could connect there...
    Would this be ok.... better than nothing..????

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    What's the voltage? If it's 24 volts or under, it's considered inherently safe, and may run with no earth ground.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    That wouldn't be much of a ground. The rebar at the bottom would be so corroded that it wouldn't provide much of an electrical connection to the earth.

If you want a decent ground, pound in a couple of 8-1/2' copper-clad grounding stakes at least 6' apart, and connect them with solid AWG4 copper wire using suitable clamps, and then connect them to your battery bank.

4. CarlM123456

Dec 20, 2009
    If you have access to an electrical code book, check section 619

5. aac9876

Dec 9, 2006
    is that 8 inches long?? how about some steel pipe ,2 , 20 inches long ,strap..
    is the idea any metal rods in the dirt more or less.???? its a 12v but I would like a ground.

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    No, that is eight feet, six inches. Copper clad rod. That's what electricians use. It's fun pounding it in the ground.
    If you want a good ground, you'll have to use the 8-1/2' long copper clad rods.

Otherwise, don't worry about a ground. Anything less would be worthless anyway.

7. aac9876

Dec 9, 2006
    how much for 25 ft of solid copper wire at HD..??? LOwes...would have to be 6awg at smallest,
    so there would be no issues using the house ground bar..??? no spikes shooting back up to the inverter...??

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You would have to price the wire out yourself. Copper has become rather expensive lately.

In a typical home service panel, they'll use AWG 4 solid copper wire (not stranded) for the earth ground.

All you've mentioned so far is batteries; nothing about an inverter. I'm not sure what your plan is.