ground(earth)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by chaithanyatkm, Aug 28, 2011.

1. chaithanyatkm

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 26, 2011
    i saw 3 different notations for representing ground(common potential node). i don't know the what is the difference b/w those 3 notations. i can't upload the pictures now. hope you all know the 3 different notations..one symbol looks same as the notation we used to represent mirrors in physics textbooks. the other one looks like a broad arrow pointing downward. And the other notation consists of parallel lines of decreasing length

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    http://www.rapidtables.com/electric/electrical_symbols.htm

They are calling the one with decreasing length parallel lines 'earth' and the one with 3 slanted lines 'chassis'. I would suggest that the chassis symbol is more likely to be an earth type ground and the parallel line symbol more likely to be used with power supply grounds. The triangle form is common for both types depending on the person using it.

chaithanyatkm likes this.
  3. chaithanyatkm

Aug 26, 2011
    what about the triangle form???

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  5. chaithanyatkm

Aug 26, 2011
    had gone through that page.. but nothing is there about the triangle form

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    The triangle is most often used in electronics schematics and represents "common" - not necessarily a chasis ground or an earth ground, just a common reference within the circuit.

EDIT: actually, the triangle is referenced on the wiki page. they are calling it "signal ground" and this is what they have to say about it:

chaithanyatkm likes this.
  7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Sometimes I wonder if some of these nice people with questions even read the answers we post for them... :confused: