Green environment design

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ericyeoh, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ericyeoh

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Dear ALL,

I had just received my title for group design project.

So for this year i'm are suppose to do a project called GREEN CAMPUS. it is all about going green saving the environment by reducing the water and air polution.

Besides that, to have power saving and auto shut off for power supply if not in use as well as reduce the water consumtion.

Please kindly share with me if u have any suggestions for the project ? :)
    link and circuit included is preferable.

TQ

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Put a generator on your bicycle and use that to power your girl friend's hair dryer.

Do you consider CO2 a pollutant?
    Is the heat absorbed by PV cells a pollutant?
    Is the additional cost to create "green" paid for with dollars that were earned in non-polluting activities?

John

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    How about auto-adjusting shades on all campus windows, to let sun in when it's cold and keep it out when it's hot?

Passive techniques, and "assisted" passive (such as variable shading) can save more energy than many active approaches.

Is your project restricted to electrical solutions? I hear a living roof - a literally green solution - can save on cooling costs.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The problem with living roofs is that the original building designers usually don't allow for a few extra tons of soil and water.

5. ericyeoh

Aug 2, 2009
    Wayneh: Yes, electronic control is essential for this project.
    CO2 is consider pollutant.

6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    I'll be holding my breath then, until someone with a little more brains than political agenda is running the EPA.

Some peoples breath may smell bad, but it isn't pollution to be alive. The pollution is what has been put into peoples brains concerning pollution.

7. ericyeoh

Aug 2, 2009
    Guys, any idea in building air filtering system? electronics implementation is compulsory : )

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    What about an electrostatic filter? Oops, is ozone a pollutant? John

9. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    For that one I think it matters 'where' in the atmosphere you find it.

How about sensing current usage in a motor of an air filter unit and signaling the user to 'change the filter', when it exceeds a set amount over what is used to power it with a new filter? Keeping power usage low by proper maintenance. :)

10. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    John, I think we're related!! ;):D

11. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    I must admit that when I was reading the list of topic titles off the board and saw this title.... an overwhelming wave of nausea swept over me.
    Is this a Jr. High, High School, or College project?

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    How does air filtration relate to green design, whatever the heck that is? The "greenest" way to filter air is to NOT filter the air. "Green" is about making the environment comfortable, not the people in it.

13. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    The blower motors have to work harder to pull air through a dirty filter..

So, instead of using disposable filters, and filling the landfills, use a dirty filter monitor with re-usable/washable filters.

by using a filter, you keep dust and junk off the blades, which moves air more efficiently, and keeps the system from using more energy than needed. A filter also keeps the coils from clogging, which leads to higher A/C pressures and leaks of o-zone destroying gases into the atmosphere.

So a filter is a must.

14. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Hey, no fair. That actually makes sense.

15. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    ...and I am NOT known for that..

Loosewire told me to post it! ;)