Green Detector Circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vick5821, Apr 5, 2012.

1. vick5821

Thread Starter Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Hey there, recently I have to design a green technology detector circuit where the circuit can be used to help in like energy saving or sustainability. Any cool or creative ideas what I can do ?

Thank you.
  2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Elaborate on "green technology detector circuit". ?????
  3. vick5821

Thread Starter Member

Jan 27, 2012
    green technology circuit for example like energy saving detector using PIR sensor where it detect if anyone in room and lights on the light

The idea is like this..But cant think of any cool way for it :(
  4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    • replace all bulbs with LED bulbs
    • Install energy star appliances, including air conditioner
    • Install high grade insulation in walls & ceiling, use double pane insulated windows
    • Install solar water heater
    • Install PIR motion detectors on light circuits with timeout period.
    • Wire all home entertainment through a momentary pushbutton so that if you want to watch TV or browse the web, you have to hold a button down the entire time. (will prevent appliances being left on, and discourage overall use)
    • Install grid-tie solar system to offset remaining energy requirement, or eliminate it alltogether.
  5. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    To make a detector "green" (in the ecological sense) and "cool" (in both the figurative sense of elegance, and the literal one of not getting hot), you need to make sure that it's power consumption is as low as possible, particularly when it is waiting around not detecting anything, as it may be most of the time.

It is easy to waste milliamperes where microamperes may do, and this can be critical in some "green" applications where your power source might for instance be a small solar battery backed up by a little NiMH rechargeable. You need to think "low power" from the ground up, for instance if you were using an LDR to sense light, a device with a higher resistance range may be preferable, or a small photodiode may be better still, provided you use a suitably high - impedance device (e.g. an FET or FET input IC) to handle its output.

Downstream of the detector device itself, try not to use old devices like 741 op-amps, which though still beloved of some educators have a pretty poor speed/power compromise. Prefer modern low-power or even micro-power devices, with enough bandwidth for your application but no overkill.

I cannot say so much about the highly integrated digital devices that may form part of modern school projects, but in general terms a lower speed device run at just enough clock rate for your requirements may help. "Sleep modes" may also be useful, but beware the deadly embrace of "gone to sleep, never to wake up".

I hope some of these ideas help you towards a "cooler" solution.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  6. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    I have one of those in my pantry. If you think you are the first to invent this, I regret to tell you that you are not.:(
    If, on the other hand, you found it on the shelf at the hardware store, install one in your pantry.:D
  7. vick5821

Thread Starter Member

Jan 27, 2012
    btw, what can I do ? just a quite cool and impressive circuit ? any schematics available ? Using passive components..No MicroC involved :)