Great Open Source OS to Try

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by stellarpower, Oct 3, 2010.

1. stellarpower

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2009
    If you haven't heard of it, Haiku is a new operating system that I personally use most of the time. It's based on the BeOS of the 90s and comes with a lot of clever features, along with amazing speed and great thread management. It is also specifically built to take advantage of multi-core systems, and has stupidly low hardware requirements. It's still in alpha stage, but bugs are quite rare, and there is quite a lot of software available, with new ports progressing day by day.

If any of you are interested, more information is available at www.haiku-os.org
    :)

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I like Haiku OS. I haven't used it yet, because I'm more fixed on Ubuntu. But BeOS and Haiku OS are two very good operating systems, and it is impressive how much performance you can get out of them.

3. stellarpower

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Yeah, I seriously believe it could be as big as linux in the future. I only came across it because I couldn't get the former to work.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I suppose you saw the xkcd cartoon from 10/15? It mentioned Haiku. :D

I put all my time in as a Linux admin and developer, not going to switch horses after a decade. Though Haiku does look pretty good, I can't see any huge benefits in a server application.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

BSD has the "advantage" that only members of a certain group can become "root" to install software.
    In linux everybody can become "root" if they know the password.

Bertus

7. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Sudo does have a list of allowed groups and users, you know. Not everyone can sudo in. And root is blocked on many desktop installs, for example logging into root on Ubuntu is very difficult.

8. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    For linux there's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/index.shtml

9. tom66

May 9, 2009
    SELinux is very good. I installed it on one server after an attack. (The attack was due to a vulnerability on a PHP web site.) I also installed a hardened Linux kernel, grsecurity. I did this on an Ubuntu desktop install (would have done it on a server install but had only a desktop CD.)