gravity vs temp: of furnace oil

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ahsanullah, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Ahsanullah

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I am working in high sulfur furnace oil handling department of thermal power house.We normally use hydro meter to measure the gravity of furnace oil.For example at 40 degree temp:, the gravity is about 0.960.There is certainly a formula/chart to measure the gravity at different temperatures.If any one has knowledge about that formula,please share with me.
    THANKS

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    You might contact the manufacturer and/or supplier of the oil. they should have this data. it will probably different for different brands/types.

3. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I assume you mean you're measuring the specific gravity, which is the ratio of the mass of the volume of fluid to the same volume of water. The density of a fluid changes with temperature. Is this what you're asking about?

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Since your hydrometer is sensitive to temperature as well, it's much better to develop a test at a nearly consistent temperature, and then apply small corrections for any deviation for that. You might want to look here.

Any reason this is posted to a circuits forum?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. Ahsanullah

Aug 27, 2010
    Certainly you are right.I want a comprehensive formula or chart by which we can easily find the specific gravity with respect to temp of furnace oil.

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Look at the link that Wayneh posted in reply #4.

7. Ahsanullah

Aug 27, 2010
    Iwant a formula/chart by which the specific gravity of furnace oil can be found easily on different temperatures.

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    It's available in the documentation that you can purchase from that site.