Granny needs some help -LED strings and battery

Shanti

Joined Apr 26, 2015
My Granddaughter sells fairy jewelry, etc at the local farmers market and wants to add some "fairylands" with lights, battery operated strings with anywhere from 6 to 12 led lights on them.

To keep it "cost effective", I was wondering if she could buy strings like this, and extra battery boxes and maybe get 4 or 5 sets out of one string....or am I totally off base on this.

I have read and watched a few youtubes on wiring leds, which I'm pretty sure we can do....but the schematics as to volts, resisters, etc give me morning sickness....

These sets are 40 leds running off 3 double AA batteries....what would 6 or 8 or 10 or 12 require?
And could they be wired about an inch apart?

I probably have more questions, but first I just want to know if the idea is feasible

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...Operated-Fairy-Party-Wedding/1576513737.html#

Thanks for any help you can give me
Granny

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hard to say without actually trying it out.

The battery box houses three AAA batteries. In addition there is an electronic circuit that boosts the voltage to a higher voltage to drive 40 LEDs.

Each LED requires about 2.5V. If the LEDs are wired in a string (in series), altogether they will require 100V.
The electronic circuit needs to limit the current otherwise there is the danger of blowing the LEDs.

At that price it might be worth ordering a few and then ask someone knowledgeable about LEDs and electronics to figure it out for you.

Shanti

Joined Apr 26, 2015
The price is what makes it appealing and you are right, I will order some sets and we really just need a set of directions as to wiring them together in the various lengths.
Thank you,
Shanti

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
"Morning sickness"?
That's an odd thing for a granny to say. Ulcer, maybe. Heart palpitations, more likely. But morning sickness? If I were going to pose as an old lady on the internet, I would make sure I didn't allude to being pregnant.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
"Morning sickness"?
That's an odd thing for a granny to say. Ulcer, maybe. Heart palpitations, more likely. But morning sickness? If I were going to pose as an old lady on the internet, I would make sure I didn't allude to being pregnant.
You may be right in your implication, but there are grandmothers who can (and do) get pregnant.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You may be right in your implication, but there are grandmothers who can (and do) get pregnant.
Right on. I know of women through extended acquaintance, who gave birth after their kids gave birth. But they were not women who come to mind when I envision a "granny" and sure as hell not women who would self identify as a "granny". They are women in their 40s who gave birth early in life to kids who also gave birth early in life.

I find it interesting that if in a certain family the women all give birth early, say at age 15 or 16, this could result in a great-grandmother who is still of child-bearing age. Perhaps even a great-great grandmother, if you consider 60 y/o having a child possible.

Shanti

Joined Apr 26, 2015
Nope, not pregnant, but raised 3 girls whose parents were heroin addicts, 2 have done well, 1 hasn't so I'm a pensioner raising her 2 girls. Granny takes on a a whole meaning and humor is an asset.

The 9 year old does the markets to pay for her horse back riding lessons. She beads and beads and gets up early and sits for 5 hours, 3 days a week in the summer selling them and if she wants fairy lights to sell, I'm going to try my best to figure out how we can make them, so that's why I'm on the forum.

Thanks,
Granny

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Nope, not pregnant, but raised 3 girls whose parents were heroin addicts, 2 have done well, 1 hasn't so I'm a pensioner raising her 2 girls. Granny takes on a a whole meaning and humor is an asset.

The 9 year old does the markets to pay for her horse back riding lessons. She beads and beads and gets up early and sits for 5 hours, 3 days a week in the summer selling them and if she wants fairy lights to sell, I'm going to try my best to figure out how we can make them, so that's why I'm on the forum.

Thanks,
Granny
The challenge here will be for you to make them at an affordable price... we'll see how we can help.
First, you have to decide the maximum price at which you will sell them. Then you work your way backwards to how much the parts and assembly will cost you... that way you can calculate your profit, and see if this project of yours is worth your while.
Just out of curiosity, where are you located?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Around the holidays I saw some very nice, battery-powered LED light strings. I especially liked the ones that use a tiny wire between bulbs. Like here or here.

Anyway, with a bit of shopping you might find something very close to what you want. Then we might be able to reproduce it cheaply.

Last edited:

Shanti

Joined Apr 26, 2015
The challenge here will be for you to make them at an affordable price... we'll see how we can help.
First, you have to decide the maximum price at which you will sell them. Then you work your way backwards to how much the parts and assembly will cost you... that way you can calculate your profit, and see if this project of yours is worth your while.
Just out of curiosity, where are you located?
Right, Aliexpress has this battery 40 LEDs sets and also has the battery boxes and coin battery holders for a reasonable price, so that`s why I think it`s the best way to go....plus we`ll learn something....

We did price out dollhouse miniatures LED lights and they were 10.00 to 12.00 a set, plus there wasn't that many lights and they were placed too far apart for these fairy houses.

We`re calculating costs, but not really time because she`s only 9 and the money just has to replenish the stock and the rest goes into her riding stash. I work for love and the odd latte, so it`s more about creating these little string of lights at the lowest cost.

We live in Canada in a little border town, so access to the US is easy....although exchange right now is around .25-.27 but we don`t have plans to mass produce these things, so am good with it.

Thanks
Granny

Shanti

Joined Apr 26, 2015
Around the holidays I saw some very nice, battery-powered LED light strings. I especially liked the ones that use a tiny wire between bulbs. Like here or here.

Anyway, with a bit of shopping you might find something very close to what you want. Then we might be able to reproduce it cheaply.
Hi,
We did look at those, but we need the LED `bulb` shape.
Thanks,
Granny

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Those submersible string lights look rather nice!

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Right on. I know of women through extended acquaintance, who gave birth after their kids gave birth. But they were not women who come to mind when I envision a "granny" and sure as hell not women who would self identify as a "granny". They are women in their 40s who gave birth early in life to kids who also gave birth early in life.

I find it interesting that if in a certain family the women all give birth early, say at age 15 or 16, this could result in a great-grandmother who is still of child-bearing age. Perhaps even a great-great grandmother, if you consider 60 y/o having a child possible.

Hehe, your post reminded me of this oldy-moldy, we used to play live.::

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
In the UK we have shops called Poundland or 99p shop where you can buy strings of LEDs with a battery box for £1 ($1.53) so I'm not impressed with you Aliexpress pricing unless there's something special about them.