GPS antenna needed

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by scobar, Jul 9, 2010.

1. scobar

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I was reading a old thread but could not respond to it (too old)

I am installing a GPS speedometor in my boat. The unit is made by Autometer model pro-comp marine 0-100 mph GPS unit. It comes without an antenna an the directions are limited on what I type I need. Here is what I know. Three (3) wires out the back for the antenna conncetion, one wire has 12V when the boat is running, one says "antenna" with 0 volts, and the last is a ground. Hope you can direct me to the antenna needed to make this work, thanks:D

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
  3. scobar

Jul 6, 2010
    On-line P/N from Rex Marine is AUT200836 hope that helps, Auto Meter manufacture.

Yes that is the antenna that Rex marine recommends as well, but I was poking around on the internet and see antenna's as low as $40, so I was trying to figure out the differance for such a swing in price

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    well, those ones you are referring to that are around $40 are just the antenna.... the one you need is actually the GPS receiver and Antenna module, since the Speedo does not have the ability to decode the satellite data by itself, and that is also why they have a power source for the antenna connector, if all you needed was the actual antenna then you would only have 1 connector for it for just the antenna, there would not be any power connections.......

5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    after searching for the part with the number you supplied I was able to verify that you do need the whole receiver unit....

B. Morse

6. scobar

Jul 6, 2010
    B. Moorse, thanks for all the help, I kinda thought the same but hoping to save $200 plus, thanks I order it today

7. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    no problem, and good luck.....