government building ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Question 1

I am wondering where the department of state building is in.
Is this one building or more then one building located somewhere elses?

And how is this (or these's) building(s) related to the Embassies?

Question 2
Which countries have a Consulates in which US states?
And I am assuming some don't and some do why the differences ?
Simlarly for US do we have an Embassy in every country outside US if not why not.

shouldn't in theory all countries have one place in every country/state/region of the world outside their's unless they are an enemy ( i.e a savy haven for there people when they are out of there region just in cases)

Question 3
Correct me if I am wrong but the main places that Passport info is stored is at either the department of state building(s) or the embassies?

So in theory one could get the forms and just submit them to the direct places with out having to go thru a middle man like the post offices or a passport agency / website

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The deparment of state represents our citizens on foreign soil. They have other

countries,like the Swiss...where we are not welcome to represent us.

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
so is the deparment of state building the same as when somebody say's embassy or Consulates building.

And
They have other

countries,like the Swiss...where we are not welcome to represent us.
So can you travel to a non-embassy state with a passport?

Because what is the point of having an embassy in a different country what is its purpose other then if you get there to protect a US citizen ?

Also
where is the passport info kept in one centralized department of state building or spread out over the embassies.
I would logically imagine that it would be a centralized places with a backup off site storage places in the US probably in maryland or washington dc :)

http://www.usembassy.gov/

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Question 1

I am wondering where the department of state building is in.
Is this one building or more then one building located somewhere elses?

And how is this (or these's) building(s) related to the Embassies?

Question 2
Which countries have a Consulates in which US states?
And I am assuming some don't and some do why the differences ?
Simlarly for US do we have an Embassy in every country outside US if not why not.

shouldn't in theory all countries have one place in every country/state/region of the world outside their's unless they are an enemy ( i.e a savy haven for there people when they are out of there region just in cases)

Question 3
Correct me if I am wrong but the main places that Passport info is stored is at either the department of state building(s) or the embassies?

So in theory one could get the forms and just submit them to the direct places with out having to go thru a middle man like the post offices or a passport agency / website
Again, how can you possibly live in the US and not know the answers to these basic questions?

In the US the Department of State is in a lot of buildings. It is huge. If you need the main office just look it up.

You can go to your local post office to apply for a passport. Who cares where the information is actually stored. If you have issues then you can look up you local passport office on the internet. There is one in Philadelphia which is closet to me.

There are consulates and embassies. A Consulate is kind of a small embassy. I would imagine you would find the ambassador at the embassy while consulates are satellite offices.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
so is the deparment of state building the same as when somebody say's embassy or Consulates building.
No the US has no Department of State offices in other countries. Those are embassy.

And

So can you travel to a non-embassy state with a passport?

Because what is the point of having an embassy in a different country what is its purpose other then if you get there to protect a US citizen ?
If you are a US citizen you need a passport to enter any country today including Canada.

EU Citizens can cross EU borders without a passport but I believe they need ID on them if asked.

Again basic stuff

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Who cares where the information is actually stored.
hummmm
well then you won't mind posting your social security number or mailing it to me if the actual place where the information is stored and who has access to it does not matter...

I smell ID theft :) but I will be quite now

I wouldn't do it but I am sure one out of 7 billion somebody in the mix would ...

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If you leave the U.S....say on a private yacht..you need a passport to get

back into the country. So don't leave the U.S. on a private yacht and pass the 12

mile limit of the U.S....a few people have learned this the hard way. Just

taking a sport fishing trip that turns into a nightmare.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
why what happens if you go over the 12 miles.
All they would have to do is verify your US liciense don't think thats to much of a chore
but curious on the story / low down on that one

question can you go anywhere in the world if you get a passport or is there off limits areas still in the world.
Other then possible avoiding war places / enemy countries

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It's usually the base of operations for Diplomacy and "resident spies" because if you are listed as an embassy official it gives you diplomatic immunity for normal non-serious crimes and espionage.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
question can you go anywhere in the world if you get a passport or is there off limits areas still in the world.
Other then possible avoiding war places / enemy countries
No. It would depend on your country of citizenship and where your country of travel. A passport is almost always required (except for eu citizens entering eu counties). Sometimes a visa is required. US citizens entering China (for example) would need a visa in addition to a passport.

There are some places US citizens are not permitted to travel to without special permission. Cuba for one.

I still would like to know how anyone can not know this stuff. It is very basic information.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
so if it is so basic then name all the places one cann't go with a passport

As well as what addition permission other then a passport you need to go to cuba... say I wanted to take a vacation in cuba :)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Go thru another country,or if you are a educator you can get permission to

go. I once had a chance to go by sail boat with a group that did go with the

proper arrangement.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
so if it is so basic then name all the places one cann't go with a passport
What?????

As well as what addition permission other then a passport you need to go to cuba... say I wanted to take a vacation in cuba :)

Are you a US citizen? If so you cannot enter Cuba from the US. You can do so through Canada, Mexico or a South American country but it would be illegal. You would be on your own if you got into any kind of trouble. You would need to be on a diplomatic or similar type of mission to enter legally.

Seriously are you really from the US and English is your first language?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
what I am getting at is there any other forms of identification other then passports that allow the average person to travel to more places then the average passport does. Leaving off the rare occasions like diplomatic or similar type of mission just plane vacations

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
what I am getting at is there any other forms of identification other then passports that allow the average person to travel to more places then the average passport does. Leaving off the rare occasions like diplomatic or similar type of mission just plane vacations
No a passport is it. Not since 9/11.

I believe you can still currently enter Canada from the US but you can't enter back into the US without a passport so it is kind of moot.

Unless of course you are an EU citizen and travel to EU countries like I already stated.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Is there different levels of a passport or is there just one type ? :)
I think I heard of a visa or somebody saying a business passport was different then a regular passport.

But I could be wrong as usual.

I do like run on sentences and sentences fragments today

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Is there different levels of a passport or is there just one type ? :)
I think I heard of a visa or somebody saying a business passport was different then a regular passport.

But I could be wrong as usual.
No a passport is a passport (in the US and disregarding diplomatic passports). People who travel frequently can get pre clearances for security at airports but that has nothing to do with passposts.

Also to enter places like Canada, you can get sort of an EZ pass for crossing the border so you don't need to stop at border crossings.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
so there is something different then a passport that gets you into a different country ez-pass.
Is this only for canada

Thought that was for highway so you don't have to stop and pay the toll. Which you can get on mass.gov or the dmv...

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Thru the state dept alot of people come and go,there are many levels

of entry and exit. It greatly depends on how well you are connected,

take that any way you can imagine. There are the rules and procedure

and there is the state dept and above.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
so there is something different then a passport that gets you into a different country ez-pass.
Is this only for canada
No it is just an electronic form of your passport so you don't have to stop.

It is not called EZ pass just something similar to the device. I can't remember what they actually call it.