Got my Onlive invite and WOW its amazing

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
If you haven't heard about onlive check it out. I have used it in is Alpha pre release state and its amazing and will change gaming forever. If you game at all go over there and sign up for thier promotion for founding members. They are parteners with ATT and they pay the bill for the 1st year then if you like it yoiu pay the $4.99USD a month to continue. The deal is its uses super high speed servers to actually run and process the game on the server side and you just send control packets to them and they stream video back to you. You can definately see a little lag in it, but its not so horribe you can't play and I'm sure it will just get better and better. Graphics looked like a PS3 or just under that. The game app was 0.5MB. Games don't download and take about 5-10 seconds to load. On my PC the sound lagged a bit and the graphics chopped a bit but as I said was still really good figuring what your doing. Now heres the kicker. I then load it up on my netbook and it runs even better then on my PC. Sound was crystal clear, almost no lag, graphics were just as good as a ps3 and dropped almost no frames.... And this is on a freaking netbook. I can't wait I'm sure within a year we'll see it on out phones. Well be able to play HD games on you phone at work, save it, then play it on your netbook on the subway home, save it, then play it on your HD TV at home all in PS3 quality! This is amazing. Go by and sign up to go on the ATT funded waiting list. You get lots of demo's do you don't even have to buy anything. Check it out.

http://www.onlive.com/

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Doubtful. There are many jobs you have down time to do what you want with. Not every job is 9-5 bust azz 24/7. I feel sorry for people who have jobs like that where their bosses micromanage their every step. Our mindset is get your job done and do what you want, just as long as your pulling your weight. Surprised no one finds this technology interesting. I'd make some video's of it but I seem to be the only one impressed with cloud gaming. lol I guess I'm a nerd of nerds. :)

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Honestly, I have never liked gaming on small devices.. Phones and such.

I always liked going to the arcade when they had the games connected to the big-screen TVs.

I remember Street Fighter Turbo had a big-screen edition in our local arcade (long since gone) But people would line up 30-40 deep to try to beat the one guy who ALWAYS chose M.Bison and just did the same flaming-spinning-flying move that was a 'glitch' in the game. It took you longer to recover from the hit then it did for him to land and do it again.

So, you spent your 50 cents and watched him do the same move 20 times and then got out of line for the next victim.

Revenge was sweet however when the next edition arrived and the 'glitch' was fixed. M.Bison had a recovery time from performing the move that was equal to the other characters recovery time from being hit.

So, I mashed him into the concrete and destroyed him, all whilst yelling "Ha-DOO-Kin!"

;)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Our mindset is get your job done and do what you want, just as long as your pulling your weight.
And when your not pulling your weight ... your terminated.

I did not say you couldn't play any games, but you certainly have to perform the work you were hired to do.

I used that philosphy twenty, no, forty years ago. The only time I questioned my charges was when they were not doing what they were suppose to, or sufficient progress on the worklist wasn't made. I hated busy work and never employed that concept. Busy work ... nope, I'd rather be fishin'.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My problem is games can be addictive, seriously so. To the point I don't play them any more, so now I'm addicted to this forum.

It is extremely easy to loose track of time on some games. My real nemesis was Red Alert.

Hello, I'm Bill and I'm a game a holic.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Aww, bill thats bad. Addicted to the forum.. You may want to consider a less stressful addiction like cocaine or something. ;)

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
ooduh-buggaw!

I have to admit I too was a vidiot gamer.
for me, the addiction was Crash Bandicoot and Doctor Neo Cortex.
I am all better now.

hey, we all have a past!

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Crash Bandicoot was an addictive game.

One of my favorites was Oddworld - Abe's Odyssey. Now that was a great game. The sequel, Abe's Exodus, was just as awesome. And in a time of 3D, these were 2 side scrollers that were REALLY awesome.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
yah I got all my old PS1 game on my phone. Actually runs at 60fps and I can use my ps3 controller. I'm with you retched I don't like gaming on my phone, but the possiblitly of gaming in ps3 quality on my phone does give me the warm fuzzies from a tech standpoint alone. I probably won't even use it for anything other then the demos' but I'm just stunned wiht the technology. So so so many people said it could never work and it actually does. :)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It is quite amazing what can be done with micro-electronics and a huge chunk of bandwidth.

And as optics get better, and lasers get more accurate, and etching get smaller, different dielectrics are discovered or created...Its going to get smaller and faster.

It is neat.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Doubtful. There are many jobs you have down time to do what you want with. Not every job is 9-5 bust azz 24/7. I feel sorry for people who have jobs like that where their bosses micromanage their every step. Our mindset is get your job done and do what you want, just as long as your pulling your weight. Surprised no one finds this technology interesting. I'd make some video's of it but I seem to be the only one impressed with cloud gaming. lol I guess I'm a nerd of nerds. :)

Micromanaging or not, I catch any of my employees playing games while they are on my time, they will definitely be unemployed. There is always something else to get done, so there is no "down time" to play....

B. Morse

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats right. And during the next round of lay-offs, the people who had all that extra time on their hands are seen as financial hemorrhages. So you either lose your job, or you gain so much more responsibility you wont have time to sleep.

There was an old saying I remember from one of my first jobs:
If you have time to lean, you have time to clean.

People who are seen enjoying themselves while on-the-clock, cause a great deal of bad-blood to the folks who are watching you while busting their backs, and that leads to someone going postal, or the unemployment line.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Micromanaging or not, I catch any of my employees playing games while they are on my time, they will definitely be unemployed. There is always something else to get done, so there is no "down time" to play....

B. Morse
Thats a difference in management theory. At my job we will work for a month or two putting in 60-80 hour weeks. Then the work drops off and we have nothing to do till the next workload arrives. Usually 1 week later. We can't start the next project till all the other offices finish their phase and since were so far ahead of them we have lots of down time. So whats your opinion of that? What if your crew is so much faster then the other crews you have to wait for themto finish before you start. Would you have them just do busy work sweeping floors and picking up paper clips all day?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Thats a difference in management theory. At my job we will work for a month or two putting in 60-80 hour weeks. Then the work drops off and we have nothing to do till the next workload arrives. Usually 1 week later. We can't start the next project till all the other offices finish their phase and since were so far ahead of them we have lots of down time. So whats your opinion of that? What if your crew is so much faster then the other crews you have to wait for themto finish before you start. Would you have them just do busy work sweeping floors and picking up paper clips all day?
Not a difference in management theory, it's a workflow problem. What if they did you like the automotive industry ... lay you off when your at that "down time". There is "no pay" --- well, you did earn it in overtime, so no need to pay you twice.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Exactly, were not the auto industry. Were not just gonna lay 2000 people off for a week or two because of workflow issues. The fact is we have till this date on this time to complete this phase. If we finish early like we always do we can do what every we want till the next phase starts. I just don't get why this is so bad.....

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
This sums it up nicely:

OMG have I used this line dozens of times. Whats great is when you have one of those bosses who has no clue whats going on and actually thinks your working. I had one boss so stupid he was trained to know if the blue bar is moving, I'm technically working.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I just don't get why this is so bad.....
If your employer wants to pay you for doing nothing ... that's their decision. Don't expect every employer to do the same. It is not a management theory. It's your employer's personal preference. You completed your task and if they let you go gaming, have fun.

You need to understand that is not the norm. Reality always sets in sooner or later.

Whats great is when you have one of those bosses who has no clue whats going on and actually thinks your working. I had one boss so stupid he was trained to know if the blue bar is moving, I'm technically working.
Nice. And when you have one that has a clue, you will be history.