Got my Chip, Programmer & Software

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
When it comes down to it, MIDI and MP3 are "just numbers"....

The hard part will be finding out what the different numbers mean for a note, as well as the timing.

I'd wait for an AVR guy to look at the stripped code to guess the clock speed and method of controlling the speaker, I'd expect one in the inner for loop, but do not see it.

The way it is making a tone is basically turning the speaker off and on <freq> instruction cycles per loop through the program.

Attempting to translate that into Hertz/cycles per second is "The Hard Part". Just as putting an MP3 into memory is easy, but decoding and playing it is The Hard Part.

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Ok Yes, you sound like you know what your talking about, i do not.

I am sure there is no easy program to input a MP3 and the output is a hex file that i can easily program. i still dont understand how a person can type random number into a computer and get a perfect sounding Nokia tune, or a sound that they want???

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
They aren't random numbers.

If you know what tune that is playing, you can use those same numbers as the notes, just in a different order.

There may be a .mid to timer data converter somewhere that allows you to enter your clock frequency, upload a midi file, and it will give arrays as shown in the program. I wouldn't doubt it, I've seen more whacky programs around.