Got Milk? - NO need help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by machinepop, Aug 30, 2012.

1. machinepop

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Building a goat milking machine but having trouble getting beyond the Protech gearmotor and the SCR (specs below).

My issue: the Minarik SCR MM23001c seems to need/require additional components to function properly. I bought the Protech and Minarik from The gearmotor was actually cheaper than the Minarik SCR.

The Minarik SCR needs a line fuse pg.18.
    Minarik drives require an external fuse for protection. Use fast acting fuses rated for 250 VAC or higher, approximately 150% of the maximum armature current.

and line filter pg 69,
    If the exact line filter is not available, the specifications are as follow:

L= (1.73 + 0.03) milliHenries.
    C = (0.27 + 0.54) microFarads (X); 0.0055 microFarads (Y)
    R = 330Kohms.
    Rated current: 1.4 times maximum DC motor current.
    Filter type: Balanced 2-section.

Can anyone recommend a line fuse and line filter for me to use besides the Minarik brand, or can someone recommend a different SCR that I could use that would be easier to install, or at least comes with line fuse? My concerns is that I am going to end up spending more money than necessary to get my current SCR to function properly with the gearmotor below.

Gear Motor:
    Protech 250 RPM 125 VDC RA gearmotor
    Amp: 0.5, 1/12 HP

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    What is you AC line voltage and what is the motor's stall current?
  3. machinepop

Aug 29, 2012
    AC line voltage 115, not sure of the stall current. The Protech didn't come with any information expect what is on the plate and I can't seem to find anything else about it. I may have to right to the company to get more information.
  4. machinepop

Aug 29, 2012
    okay with further research I found these possible comparable drives.

KB Electronics - KBMM series
    Dart Controls - 125DV-C
    Baldor - BC141
    Bodine - 0865
    Graham 176B1111

Anyone familar or can recommend one of these that might work or comes with line fuse.