Google Chrome continues to act up

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I use IE predominately. I'll use FireFox at times to check on website designs mostly. I do have just about every add-on disabled in both browsers. I never checked the browser on my tablet but I use that occasionally to check website designs.

I was under the assumption that win8 does not run 32bit software.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
When I checked about getting a new laptop. I downloaded the app from Microsoft and it recommended upgrading too much of my software. So I went to Win 7 because I only had to upgrade one piece of software.

I didn't have the extra thousand hanging around for all those upgrades.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
When I checked about getting a new laptop. I downloaded the app from Microsoft and it recommended upgrading too much of my software. So I went to Win 7 because I only had to upgrade one piece of software.

I didn't have the extra thousand hanging around for all those upgrades.
When was this? A couple of years ago when Windows 8 was new, the support was terrible and it didn't run a lot of programs that ran on windows 7 and earlier versions. Over time, though, support has gotten better and more and more programs can run on 8. I don't think it has anything to do with software being 32- or 64-bit, it's just that some programs were supported and others were not.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola Matt,

This could be completely off track but if audio keeps going and video stops, I recall there was something like that (even crashing the computer) related to hardware acceleration. Usually noticeable when started to play a video in Youtube.

Not sure if that applied to XP only but it was a matter of adjustment (think it was trial and error).

Not sure where, there was a site offering to test how many fps (frames per second) your hardware was actually able to do with current settings.

BTW last test of one old PC of mine, gave a reassuring 1 fps!:p

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hola Matt,

This could be completely off track but if audio keeps going and video stops, I recall there was something like that (even crashing the computer) related to hardware acceleration. Usually noticeable when started to play a video in Youtube.

Not sure if that applied to XP only but it was a matter of adjustment (think it was trial and error).

Not sure where, there was a site offering to test how many fps (frames per second) your hardware was actually able to do with current settings.

BTW last test of one old PC of mine, gave a reassuring 1 fps!:p
You're absolutely right, I have heard that this same issue has been caused by "hardware acceleration" settings. Unfortunately, even after disabling it I have the same issue. When streaming a movie from Netflix it seems to freeze every 10 minutes exactly (I timed it with a stopwatch). When I'm just browsing the net it seems to freeze even more frequently.

Matt

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
When streaming a movie from Netflix it seems to freeze every 10 minutes exactly ...
Sounds more like a network problem vice a computer problem.

When was this?
I bought this within the last year. More likely within the last six months or so. That doesn't mean that the app I used wasn't older ... I never checked the date on that.

I was using Verizon DSL service; the upgraded version, and experienced freezing videos and other assorted problems with my Vonage phone service. After changing to Time-Warner's Roadrunner service, all of the freezing problems went away and the Vonage phone service worked well, so it seems to be a network speed issue. Also, Google Chrome is working very well, however Mozilla Firefox crashes occasionally. All this with windows 7 and Vista operating systems; 2 computers.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]