Good small socket for resistor?

sage.radachowsky

Joined May 11, 2010
Anyone know a good through-hole component that works for pushing in an axial resistor... something small that mates with the leads of an 1/8 watt resistor?

I know the trick of using a header with jumpers (shunts) and putting the leads of the resistor in one side of each shunt... but looking for something better, that's made for the purpose.

thanks!

sage.radachowsky

Joined May 11, 2010
I'm building a potentiostat that uses a sense resistor that I want to be able to change for different ranges of current sensing. I'm putting some decades on the board like 10K, 100K etc... with a jumper to select which is engaged... but I'd also like the user to be able to insert their own resistor for more flexibility. It's a one-off lab instrument.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I often use the metal part from this type of socket. They can be removed from the plastic by heating the pin with solder iron then pushed out. But they are also sold separately. The best thing is to drill a hole so the widest part will fit(cut thinner part). As it is more stable

sage.radachowsky

Joined May 11, 2010
Thanks for everyone who suggested a solution.
I want to keep this small and inexpensive on the circuit board because I will have many channels... Inspired by Al's suggestion, I did some more digging and found this part:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=1-5645956-1-ND

Around $0.12 each and pretty compact... I believe it will push nicely into the right diameter hole, and it has a spring contact inside.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
You'lll find many different styles searching through the parts sites, don't forget Mouser.

Female header sockets are fairly versatile due to their spring clip action accepting a wide variety of pin sizes but not the best, I thnk Mouser actually has an entire section devoted to these things.