Good small socket for resistor?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sage.radachowsky, Sep 21, 2010.

1. sage.radachowsky

Thread Starter Member

May 11, 2010
    Anyone know a good through-hole component that works for pushing in an axial resistor... something small that mates with the leads of an 1/8 watt resistor?

I know the trick of using a header with jumpers (shunts) and putting the leads of the resistor in one side of each shunt... but looking for something better, that's made for the purpose.

thanks!

2. Dyslexicbloke

Sep 4, 2010
    Not realy sure what you'r getting at but if you mean something you can solder to a board that will give you a hole like a breadboard socket then a Pin Socket is probably as good as you are going to get:-
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/257433.xml

I wouldnt recomend this as a solution to changing resistance for prototyping though .... Cant you use a Pot or Trimmer?

Al

sage.radachowsky likes this.
  3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Im rather confused by the need also.

Do you want something like a fuse holder? But holding a resistor instead?

4. sage.radachowsky

Thread Starter Member

May 11, 2010
    I'm building a potentiostat that uses a sense resistor that I want to be able to change for different ranges of current sensing. I'm putting some decades on the board like 10K, 100K etc... with a jumper to select which is engaged... but I'd also like the user to be able to insert their own resistor for more flexibility. It's a one-off lab instrument.

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Ahh. Then a standard female header should do the trick.

You could also use a standard terminal block to screw the resistor into place.

[​IMG]

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I often use the metal part from this type of socket. They can be removed from the plastic by heating the pin with solder iron then pushed out. But they are also sold separately. The best thing is to drill a hole so the widest part will fit(cut thinner part). As it is more stable
    [​IMG]

7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

Binding post. Accepts banana plugs on the end and wires(resistor leads) in the side. Twist to tighten down on the inserted part/wire/resistor etc etc.

8. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Or if you just have to have a socket, you could use a transistor socket like this: http://www.mill-max.com/images/products/pdf/123N.pdf
    It's for a to-5 transistor. You can plug the third hole with some silocone or hot glue to avoid any confusion.
    Personally I prefer retcheds' suggestion with the terminal block.

9. sage.radachowsky

Thread Starter Member

May 11, 2010
    Thanks for everyone who suggested a solution.
    I want to keep this small and inexpensive on the circuit board because I will have many channels... Inspired by Al's suggestion, I did some more digging and found this part:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=1-5645956-1-ND

Around $0.12 each and pretty compact... I believe it will push nicely into the right diameter hole, and it has a spring contact inside.

10. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    You'lll find many different styles searching through the parts sites, don't forget Mouser.

Female header sockets are fairly versatile due to their spring clip action accepting a wide variety of pin sizes but not the best, I thnk Mouser actually has an entire section devoted to these things.