Good place to buy electronic components in limited quantity?

SlowCoder

Joined Mar 25, 2012
Yep, I'm asking this question, just as I'm sure so many before me have ...
I can buy 5 resistors at Radio Shack for about $1, a cost of about $.20 each. I know I can get cheaper prices online, but it seems to get the better prices, I'd have to buy in bulk.

For instance, at this point in my hopeful hobby I can't see buying 500 quantity of any single resistor value so that I can pay $.12 per resistor (a total of $60).

Where is a good online source for components, in limited quantities, such as 10-20 of any certain component?

What do you think about purchasing from eBay as a source?

There are so many options available for the hobbyist. I am personally not against ebay sites, although most of my orders are through the major distrubuters. A couple of inexpensive shops that I use: tayda electronics and dipmicro. Can order from both on, or off ebay. To start with, dipmicro has sets of resistors, capacitors (ceramic & electrolytic), and leds, to save some of the hassle of starting out.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
you can order unfathomable amounts of resistors on Ebay from china for dirt cheap. You can get whole series of resistors, in pouch books or tackle boxes for less than the price of an empty tackle box. The shipping is surprisingly fast coming from China in < 2weeks.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
you can order unfathomable amounts of resistors on Ebay from china for dirt cheap. You can get whole series of resistors, in pouch books or tackle boxes for less than the price of an empty tackle box. The shipping is surprisingly fast coming from China in < 2weeks.
You go right ahead :D I'd rather have the tackle box-----------less for China to <snip> up.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You go right ahead :D I'd rather have the tackle box-----------less for China to <snip> up.
Not that it makes a difference. You go buy your tackle box and tell me where it's made. china. You go buy your resistor series set and tell me where it's made. china. Only difference is by going on Ebay you're getting it straight from the source, and not fattening the pockets of middle men (chinese and american middle men). I dare you to find a resistor made in America; even a tackle box for that matter

EDIT: BTW, I just want to note that I do agree with you. I hate that our way of life in this country is based on hemorraging our wealth into unstable countries who hate us. But, the sad truth is that The system has been allowed to evolve into such that you just cannot get these things made in America. I wish it weren't true.

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I agree wholeheartedly with your edit...........it is getting very difficult to find products made in America. the stuff is out there tho'.
My "political" tack of late, is that giving America away to a Hardline Communist Dictatorship, is a cold slap in the face to every serviceman or woman who has died or has been maimed fighting the scourge of old Soviet communism on this planet.

SlowCoder

Joined Mar 25, 2012
LOL, guys ... don't kill each other over lil' ol' me!

I'll look around on eBay, and see what some of the major distributors are selling. Is there really any difference in the quality between companies, or are we pretty much dealing with the same Chinese manufacturer's products and quality no matter where you buy from?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
LOL, guys ... don't kill each other over lil' ol' me!

I'll look around on eBay, and see what some of the major distributors are selling. Is there really any difference in the quality between companies, or are we pretty much dealing with the same Chinese manufacturer's products and quality no matter where you buy from?
There are name brands who's reliability is known, but [only semi-educated statement alert] I believe they all come from china, probably all from the same chinese manufacturers. The ones on "name brand" production lines just go through a more stringent QC process.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My "political" tack of late, is that giving America away to a Hardline Communist Dictatorship, is a cold slap in the face to every serviceman or woman who has died or has been maimed fighting the scourge of old Soviet communism on this planet.

The lavish lifestyle we enjoy is disproportional to the amount of work we do. Americans are becoming obese. Our size reflects our society. Our society is fat because we buy everything dirt cheap from 3rd world & communist countries who whore out kids to sweat shops. WE are fat because we surround ourselves in big piles of possessions that don't reflect the real amount of work required to acquire those possessions, because we acquired them on the backs of sweat shop worker slaves. If we had to do an amount of work proportional to the goods & food we consume, #1 we would all be in a lot better shape, and #2 we wouldn't be driving SUVs through fast food drive throughs. Saying that we are above communism because we are too "civilized" to treat our civilians like slaves, whilst simultaneously buying nearly everything we have from a communist nation is nothing short of flagrant hypocrisy.

It seems pretty obvious to me, that the only possible result is an eventual turning of the tables - they will end up with more of our wealth than we have, and they will use it against us.

This is just one of the many factors working in unison to destroy America. It won't be the land of the free & the home of the brave for much longer. The older members on this forum can be reasonbly confident that they will die in free America, but I'm only 26 and I'm pretty sure I will be representative of the first generation of 3rd world America. My kids for sure.

EDIT: oops - I just went full political. oh well. I probably sound like a nutcase now too. oh well again.

Last edited:

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I typically use Mouser, Jameco, and sometimes Digikey. On the rare occasion I will get something from ebay. However, I tend to stay away from ebay for most semiconductors because I just don't trust the sellers there for one reason or another. I do like Mouser because they have reasonable prices and their shipping time to me is usually 2 - 3 days.

I'm staying out of the political commentary, though I think I could add to some of the statements made.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Seriously Strantor.............
I have gone to local industry, and asked about buying some of their excess / obsolete component inventory --- some show me the door, others have proffered more than I could ever hope to afford, and one gave me a shoebox full of part-packages of resistors ......

The old packrat principle......

I use all kinds of lame excuses....told one radioshak I was working with a youth group trying to jumpstart at-risk youth into electronics.......and got damn near a truckload of toys -- in various stages of disrepair ......'06 dodge Dakota........

I'm still rummaging through that stuff......

Last edited:

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
I use all kinds of lame excuses....told one radioshak I was working with a youth group trying to jumpstart at-risk youth into electronics.......and got damn near a truckload of toys......'06 dodge Dakota........
Not judging you, but for me that would be an excuse too far. It would feel like accepting donations for a "charity" while keeping the money.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Not to worry.........the youth group was legit.........it's when one tries to turn on the subterfuge, that it never works out................

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
Not to worry.........the youth group was legit.........it's when one tries to turn on the subterfuge, that it never works out................
I figured I was probably missing something in your story. Right after high school I worked for a cellphone store; the guy who ran it was a sleazy character to say the least. At the time (maybe it still exists, I don't know) there was a program in Massachusetts where people could donate their used mobile phones to a charity for battered women. The women would get a free phone - unactivated, and would be able to use it for calling 911. This guy would take phone donations and some would make it to the charity while the others would end up on sale as used phones in his store. I didn't stay long.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I like Mouser. Basically $10.50 for shipping anything from 1 resistor to a hundred assorted parts that fit in one "standard" box. I feel that's fair for a $100 order, but for a dozen resistors or a single chip, it's highway robbery. Obviously, I like Mouser for large orders because I CAN buy 1 resistor of any particular size or value. I just don't do that unless it's going to have a lot of companions on its journey.

SlowCoder

Joined Mar 25, 2012
I am looking through my options here ...
I could go with a bulk package like this for resistors, and this for capacitors to get myself started. I'm hoping it would give me the supplies I need without worrying about running out quickly. I'm not necessarily going to buy from these suppliers, but I'm wondering if these look like appropriate kits for my money?

Is there any reason I should not buy metal film resistors, over the older carbon ones?
I know I'd also need to pick up some electrolytic caps for the higher values.