Good forum ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lightfire, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Just want to say good forum ever.

There's a deep reason why I said that and I am glad to say that if you asked so. :)
    debjit625 likes this.
  2. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Quick english lesson, I think you meant "best forum ever"
    And we all thank you for thinking so.
    Lightfire likes this.
  3. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I am very glad to have this forum, as well. I am a member on some others, too, but this is definitely one of my top ones :D
    Der Strom
    Lightfire likes this.
  4. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Bla Bla. :) :D You're correct. :D
  5. HallMark

Apr 3, 2011
    AAC Rocks !!
    Lightfire likes this.
  6. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Granite rocks!

Lightfire likes this.
  7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    AAC sparks!
    Lightfire likes this.
  8. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Eh? :D It results to

AAC shorted-circuit!

9. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I smell of a burnt fuse...
    Lightfire likes this.
  10. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Did someone forget to current limit?
    I see blue smoke everywhere...
  11. monster_catfish

Mar 17, 2011
    For sheer volume of traffic, this forum exceeds all others I know by a massive margin.

Virtually around the clock, between 200 and 300 people are logged on here. That figure is truly amazing, and this will be my first stop whenever I have electronics related questions to ask.

I have also noticed that contributors to this forum are generally far more courteous and willing to share knowledge with noobs like me, than is the case in just about any other discussion forum that comes to mind.
  12. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

This forum is well visited.
    Whenever I am online I see between 800 and 1400 visitors online.
    The main part are guests, but there are always between 20 and 60 members online.

To the newcomers I always point the to the terriffic eBook using this quote:

As the quote says "feel free to register and ask questions"

13. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Good to hear that....:)
  14. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I smell smoke.
    Did you short that transformer out In shop,Instead of study.
  15. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I overpowered AND reversed the polarity of an electrolytic in class once. big one too..

Not completely my fault.. Reversing the polarity was, but the D’Arsonval movement in the power supply has been broken for years so the 'teacher' would set the supply with a VOM.

The VOM was also of the D’Arsonval movement type, HOWEVER the 'teacher' had it in the wrong setting, adding a decade to the setting.

So our 10v* on a 16v* cap should have been fine,
    but 100v* on a REVERSED POLARITY 16v* cap was not fine anymore.

The saving grace was: While I was setting up the breadboard, another student pulled the plug to my power supply to plug something else in. When I flipped the switch to 'ON' the neon indicator on the meter didn't light, so I then saw it was unplugged, I did not turn the power supply off when I went to plug it back in...that was the lucky part.

This cap took NO TIME to pop.. And had I been leaning over the board with no safety glasses, at the distance that I usually am from it whilst studding the layout, 6-8 inches...maybe.., then I would likely be blind.

* (I cant remember the EXACT voltages..but these felt right)
  16. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    This reminds me a story..

It was when I was training for my very first electronic certificate. In our local training center back in 90's

Every year end we are to go to explore the industry for a month. We will be like employee's except no pay.
    On second year two of us were assigned to Dhiraagu (the only telecom in Maldives then ).

Dhiraagu's transmitter, the Up link & down link ( the only connection to outside world )were placed in a near by island which is a 3 minute ride by launch. The whole TX is in that island and everyday were to go there and study and document the works.

My classmate is a moron. He is one of the well u know "dumb" ones.

One day we were given a supply to fix, a 12V plug in PSU to one of the many things that have all sorts of flashing led's.

As I was the smart one, I found the fault, but to fis it I had to remove the huge smoothing cap. In order to teach my college something I gave him to solder the cap.

After soldering, he said it is not giving out much voltage he said, I checked and found out it has 6V out. :confused:
    I was positive I fixed it, so I was bend over with inches from the CAP looking for a sign.

BAAAAANG!! :eek:

went something, I jolted back and was covered in the dielectric stuff.
    Peeeeeeew!, I smelled funny.
    The moron had the cap backwards and he did not switch off when I told him to.

and to make things worse, he blamed it on me and was laughing his ass off.
  17. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Don't worry, we are now modern. We now use circuit breaker. the circuit breaker cuts the power already. :D and now its back to normal. :D