Good First Oscilloscope

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Skyler, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Skyler

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 26, 2013
    I am 14 and I like to work with electronic circuits all the time. I keep having the need for an oscilloscope, but don't have one because I have always thought they were a waste of money, and I don't have a lot of money so I never got one. I want an old CRT based one and I am wondering where to get one / if anybody has any links. My limit is 140 dollars MAX. Are there any good ones on eBay?

Is this one good?
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    Tektronix makes good, reliable scopes, so I would say that it will do what it was designed to do. The seller did state that if anything is not in the pictures, then it is not included; so you will need to buy some probes for the scope. The manual is a bonus since it will tell you how to check the accuracy of the scope. The shipping charge does seem to be a little high, but then I haven't shipped a heavy item for some time.
  3. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You should be able to pick up a working CRT scope for $25.
    Check out your local school, college or university. They may be getting rid of some old scopes.

You have to factor in the price of a pair of probes. New ones are not cheap.

I would expect to pay $50 to $75 for a good working Tektronix 2313 with two probes.
  5. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
  6. Austin Clark

Dec 28, 2011
    What were you interested in using a your scope for?