Good DC-DC Switching Regulators

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Barnaby Walters, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Barnaby Walters

Thread Starter Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Hello everyone,

For my next project, I'd like to use a capacitor based DC-DC switching regulator to take 7.4v down to 5v. Does anyone know of any good regulators, and can give me some advice about setting them up? I've only been able to find information on using inductors for step-up regulators.

Thanks,
    Barnaby

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    You can go for low dropout type 5V regs.

These can take inputs down to almost 6 volts unlike standard types.

Googling low drop out 5V regulators will help

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Please give me one example of a switched capacitor step-down converter so I can figure out what you want.

Please tell the current you need.

Have you tried national.com for "simple switchers"?
    No...wait...they will likely use an inductor.

4. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    If the input is constant and you have current to play with a simple voltage divider might work.

5. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Learn to use the parametric search features on manufacturer websites. This is one product from Texas Instruments: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ptn78000w.pdf. There may be others at Analog Devices, Maxim IC, Linear Technology, etc.

6. Barnaby Walters

Thread Starter Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback.

This is going to be supplying an MCU, as well as a few LEDs and some output signals — nothing huge. I could get by with a linear regulator but wanted to try using a switching one. It doesn't matter if it uses an inductor, particularly (they look awesome on PCBs! I haven't had the chance to use one yet).

I am trying, as with all the graphs on datasheets. The problem I have found with parametric search is that they're fab for fine-tuning selection if you already know almost exactly what you want — which in this case, I didn't.

That looks perfect for what I need — thanks a lot!

Cheers,
    Barnaby

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You really should define your projects' power requirements before looking at (a) regulator(s), or you may wind up with too little (frequently happens) or far too much capacity (overkill is expensive and bulky).

8. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011